Chapter 15 | To Know That We'll Never Be

- Weeks later -

There were some moments of silence in which Skye would find her mind unbearably loud. A screaming conscience, pondering every thought that had unfolded over the past few weeks. These moments gave her no peace.

Regret filled Skye's body, her arms turning numb. She'd been trying for weeks to erase the notions that invaded her mind, but they loomed over her conscience - forever rejuvenating the pain that lurked within. Tears brimmed her eyes before she clenched them shut, cringing at the tight sensation. The tops of Skye's knuckles then turned white as she clasped a soaked wooden scrubbing brush, a hint of soap invading her senses as she heaved her arms back and forth to wash the palace floor.

Wiping her eyes with the back of her hand, Skye's careless actions continued to push her further into the harsh stone of the palace corridor. Tydriss had made it very clear of her position, now forcing Skye beneath even the likes of her. She was to clean from dawn till dusk, soon learning painful reality of a bucket and scrubbing brush. Skye would clean and polish the marble floors, utterly invisible to the outside world. But this was her life now.

The murky liquid of the soaped water engulfed the pale fabric of Skye's servants dress, seeping beneath her thin layers to chill her dirt-clad skin. Her fingers ached and her back screamed. Constantly found hunched over did nothing to help the posture of her aching spine.

Readjusting the brush within her slippery palm, Skye's eyes soon rose to find the gentle haze of the morning sun slowly creep through a nearby window, warming the skin of her face. The sun was calm, almost tender in its approach to find her sapphire irises, discovering a yearning desire to be lively once more. Envisions of Loki lay clear within her mind, his emerald gaze warming her very soul at a single glance.

Why did he plague her mind like this?

Quickly meeting the sudden movement of a nearby figure, Skye's mind jumped back to reality - realising this figure was her majesty, Queen Frigga.

"You're majesty!" chocked Skye, stumbling to her feet in attempt to curtsy, only to slip and fall back onto the damp surface of the palace floor.

"Skye! Good heavens child!" Frigga gasped, "Are you alright?"

"Perfectly fine, your majesty. Just a fall." Skye reassured, as she picked herself off the ground.

"You know that's now what I meant."

"Nothing damaged but my pride, I'm sure." She comforted once more before she sent the Queen a timid smile.

"Skye," voiced Frigga. "Please, do accompany me." As she moved past Skye in direction of her quarters.

"What is it, your ladyship? Have I done something wrong?" Skye said, concern evident within her voice. The Queen however never answered, moving down the palace corridor and into her chambers with Skye quickly trailing behind her.

"Please, do be seated." Uttered Frigga once more, before Skye complied with her request. "Now please, do enlighten me."

"What exactly am I to enlighten you upon, your majesty?"

"I have supervised young maidens since before you were born, child. I know affection when I see it." Frigga began, "It never fails to disturb me."

"You're ladyship. If I may be so bold - I'd rather not discuss the matter, please." Pleaded Skye, wishing her affairs had not been the origin of her conversation.

"The young maiden is either floating on a cloud of giddy delight-" Frigga continued, pausing to stare at the young maid seated before her "or it comes as pain." Skye's eyes darted to the ground, averting herself from the Queen's gaze before she broke into tears once more. "It is said, that the eyes are the windows to the soul, and your eyes Skye. They never seem to mask your emotion." Only then did Skye's eyes again meet Frigga's. "Which is why I find it utterly inescapable to ignore the pain evident within them."