Chapter 7 | Worth a Thousand Words

[Past]

"Ready or not! I'm coming to find you!" Thor's antagonistic voice echoed through the vast palace garden as his childish form rampantly turned to seek his dearest friends.

Skylar, Fandral and Sif bolted away, pursuing distance in attempt to hide from the blonde haired god. Sif quickly ducked away, as did Fandral eventually, leaving Skylar in the middle of the garden pathway, alone and exposed. She was still very young compared to the others, lacking their perfected talents. She was no more than the age of 12, as was Prince Loki.

Where was the young Prince anyway?

Franticly panicking, Skylar listened as her pulse quickened, the hardened beats ringing through her ears. Anxiously glancing around, she continued to move down the crisp sandstone pathway, descending further into the bewildering palace garden.

Prodigious trees climbed into the sky, belittling everything beneath them. Green leaves of every shade masked the chocolate brown dirt below their trunks. Crusty bark clung to the frames of the trees as bushes of magnanimous verdures electrified the crimson and milky petals of the queen's roses.

Skylar glanced around, moving one foot in front of the other as she glanced upward to see the sun's warm rays seeping through the protection of the plants.

"I know you're here." Thor's spurring voice drove her nervous form into the shadows as his expression moved closer.

Why had Sif and Fandral left her alone?

Shifting backward as Thor's shadow crept across the bark of a nearby tree, Skylar's voice hitched within her throat. Her subconscious was laughing at her pathetic form, of course she was to lose this little game. She was nothing compared to the other royals.

Goosebumps tracked up the flesh of her arm as a gentle breeze made its way through the garden. Birds chimed in the distance as the crunchy leaves rustled beneath her feet.

Thor's voice continued to echo through the forest-like-garden, his smirk present as Skylar continued to stumble backward as his shadow crept closer, reassuring her doubts of him being located around the corner from her trembling body. She staggered backward, her eyes never leaving his darkening trail until she clipped her ankle upon an exposed tree root, tumbling backwards.

With a distinct 'umpf', she harshly hit the damp soil beneath her, the sleeves of her dress turning brown and growing damp. Her head suddenly snapped to the left at the abrupt sound of a snapping twig.

Loki

Skylar's eyes widened as he dropped the book he was reading to lunge forward, clasping her bent elbows within his palms and dragging her backward to mask themselves within the protection of the bushes.

Hiding them both from Thor.

Skylar shifted to say something before Loki's hand firmly clasped around her mouth, silencing her words. Both their eyes widened as they watched the distinct body of Thor silently move past their hiding place. Eventually leaving them in silence, Thor disappeared as Loki softly removed his hand.

"What are you doing back here?" She questioned in confusion, raising herself off her elbows to sit upright, glancing as Loki retrieved his book.

"Reading. May I ask what you are doing back here?"

"I think you already know the answer to that." She amusingly replied as Loki's kind eyes slowly turned to stare at her once more. "Why didn't you wish to join us?" Skylar whispered, knowing Thor could still be around.