Chapter 3 | Fragmented Imagination

Long ago in the past....

Knelt before Loki's young and trivial figure, Frigga continued to gently adjust the collar of his dress-shirt, fumbling with the buttons around his slight neck. They were the only two in the large throne room, awaiting the return of his brother Thor and his father, Odin. Tucking in the loose shirt, Frigga straightened the material of his vest.

"Mother," Loki's innocent voice cooed, extending his arms for balance as his mother continued to assist him.

"Yes my love?" Frigga replied, peering into his vastly acquitted eyes.

"Why is it we have to meet this girl?"

"Because she is of great importance to your father and I." Loki listened to the smile within his mother's words as she smoothly moved to stand up, playfully tapping the tip of Loki's nose.

"But what if she doesn't like me?" Loki mumbled, suddenly aware of how self-conscious he was. In Midgardian years, he was aged 11, but this number never stopped him having the mind of an adult. Dropping his eyes to the polished marble floor, Loki rubbed his right arm in pure anxiety.

"Oh, my dearest boy, do not talk such nonsense. I'm sure she will find your talents surprisingly amiable and adore you just as I do." Frigga whispered, lifting his head with the soft flesh of her fingers. "One day, you may even be of great importance to her."

"I highly doubt that, mother!" Thor boasted, entering and disturbing the peace within the throne room.

Running toward Loki, Thor roughly clasped his shoulders, locking an arm around Loki's neck to pull him toward the steps of their father's throne. "For I will be the one who secures the affections of this young lass!"

"She's not a possession Thor! She cannot be won like prize in your petty tournaments" Loki huffed, harshly pushing Thor away, collapsing down the stairs in the process.

"Very right you are, my son" Odin uttered, entering the throne room. A hand full of guards and the Asgardian council trailing behind his dominating figure.

Leaping back to his feet, Loki dusted himself off, moving to the protection of his mother. Thor too moved to Frigga's side, both in respect of the elders entering the room. Odin paused a few feet away from his sons, beckoning them forward. As they did, Odin gently clasped one hand upon each of the boy's shoulders.

"My sons, I have no doubt in you both showing our newest guests the utmost respect that they deserve. The young girl has recently come from circumstances that have left her and her father shattered, so if I find out that either one of you has broken her temperament, you'll find my attitude very displeasing." Odin whispered so only they could hear his wise words. Pulling them toward the base of the throne they turned, peering toward the large entrance of the throne room.

Frigga watched from his side position as Odin stood at the centre, Thor on his right and Loki to his left. Both the young boys stood still, poised and dignified, relatively mature for young children of their age.

"My Lord," The introducing guard welcomed as the two sons glanced down the length of the room. Loki focused his eyes in attempt to see who this mystery girl was as two figures entered the room. Straining the orbs within his head, Loki gasped in shock at the bewildering sight before him.

"It is my honour to present to you, General Edrick of the Royal Asgardian Guard and his daughter-"

Loki abruptly jolted out of the comfort of his bed, panting as he looked around in hysterics. Slowly running his hands down the angular features of his face, the young prince sighed in gratitude. It was just a dream, and a strange one at that!

This dream was like a rediscovered memory. A fragment of the past. And the girl, this wasn't the first time she had appeared within his dreams. Only this time, his visions were orderly placed, not miss-matched segments within his mind. He had recognised her.

His rampant pulse and quickened heart began to slow within his chest as he observed the beads of sweat run down the bare flesh of his arms and chest. Peering at the balcony located outside his bedroom, Loki slid in one motion from the comfort of his bed to place his feet upon the chilled floor of his chambers.

Walking toward its open doors, Loki moved out into the chilled midnight night air, staring down upon the beautiful sight of Asgard. His breeches clung loosely to his waist as he casually leant upon the railing of his balcony. The calm muscles flexed within his back as her leant forward to clasp his hands together.

Slowly closing his eyes, Loki listened to the alarming silence before mumbling the same word that repetitively drummed through his head.

"Skylar"

-

Walking back to her servant's quarters in silence, Skye unlocked the door, pushed her way inside and turned around to find Mathis leaning upon the frame of her bed.

"How many times have I told you-" Skye began, angry and pointing a timid finger in his direction.

"You had me worried sick all day, and your about to lecture me on being inside foreign chambers after hours. Honestly? Skye, I know you better than this!" Mathis interrupted, shifting off her bed to dominantly stand before her fragile form.

"Then you should know that 'I think you ought to leave'." Skye concluded turning to walk away before Mathis caught her wrist.

"Not without answers!"

"Mathis...." Skye sighed, lowering her head in shame.

"Skye, I am your best friend. I deserve to know." He confessed, staring into her soul when she sharply snapped her head back to him.

"And I'll confide in you, soon. I promise."

"Fine!" Mathis agreed, regret evident within his voice. "At the Jousting tournament, tomorrow afternoon. I know you'll attend in honour of her majesty but if you don't-" Mathis was suddenly caught off guard when Skye ran her warm palm across the stubbled check of his face.

"When have I ever lied to you?"

"You- you haven't." His brows knitted in confusion.

"That's right," She agreed, abruptly unlocking the door to toss Mathis into the silence of the corridor. "Now if you wouldn't mind, I'd like to get some sleep. It shall be nothing short of exhausting tomorrow, if I'm to watch you lose."

Before Mathis could reply, Skye amusingly slammed the door in his face, forcing him to return to his own chambers.

Tomorrow was to be a rough day, for them both.

[Please vote & comment!! xx Let me know what you think of the new cover posters located at the side >>]