Chapter 10 | Fire and Burning Ice

Gently running her fingers through his dishevelled hair, Skye watched Mathis as he relaxed his features, observing the perfected rise and fall of his chest.

He’d done nothing but sleep all afternoon after the physician had cleaned his wounds, taking various samples of the toxin. He wouldn’t be attending the banquet this night but he and even Skye herself were asked to attend a called audience before the King at dusk.

The conversation between the two had been tense. Mathis couldn’t believe for one moment that he’d been poisoned but something within his heart knew that Skye was telling him nothing but the truth.

Slowly lifting his eyelids Mathis was greeted with a stunning sight. She was sitting upon the edge of his bed, running her fingers through his hair. The feeling electrified his core as he shifted to greet her. The afternoon sun warmed her cheeks as Skye turned to smile, relived he was finally awake.

“How do you feel?” She murmured, giving his hand a reassuring squeeze.

“A lot better, thank you.” He shot her a smile as she brought her palm to his cheek, gently caressing it with ease.

“The Alfather wishes to see us soon.” Skye began. “Are you well enough?”

“Certainly, I shan’t disappoint his lordship. Is the council to be present?”

“I believe so,” She replied, staring at his quizzical brow. “Rumour is, they found the culprit. I’ve yet to be informed as to whom this is, but you must promise me-” Skye paused to send him a hesitant smile. “-you’ll control your temper. Please.”

“If that is your wish.” Mathis confessed, suddenly realising she’d been with him for a very long period of time.  What of her duties? “May I endeavour as to why you aren’t tending to your duties? Her majesty must worried sick?”

“Actually, it was her ladyship that dismissed me. She told me I’d be of better use this evening once I’d been assured you were well taken care of.”

“Is that so?” Mathis gingerly inquired. “Well, I’d better-”

Before he could however conclude his sentence, the infirmary door abruptly swung open. It wasn’t long before two armoured guards requested the presence of them both, leading them down the golden halls of the palace, directly to the throne room.

When they both entered, Mathis was a little out of breath and Skye could tell. Slowly leading him a stand with a few other council members, they watched as more pupils entered the room. Skye moved her hand to comfortingly hold his own. Mathis was more than grateful for the small yet heart-warming deed. She’d always managed to make him feel secure in grave times of need and this was no different. Sending her a quick smirk, she did nothing but lower her head, concealing the light blush warming her cheeks.

Only then did Loki spring to mind.

The thought of his lips upon her own flesh drove her heart into overdrive. He had been so loving and caring, she couldn't wait until they saw one another again.

Before long, they were both graced with the presence of the two princes, Thor and Loki himself.

As Loki trailed behind his brother, his eyes racked the already present audience. He was looking for one person and one alone. When he did however finally catch a glimpse of her fragile form, his breath automatically caught within his throat.

The sight was stunning, however gravely tedious. A soft smile crept across her face, obviously amused as she did her best to hide the continuous blush travelling to her cheeks. His heart froze.