Chapter 6 | Impulsive Actions

"Is he breathing?" Frigga anxiously questioned, watching several guards gently carry Loki into the security of his tent. As they lowered his lifeless form onto the comfort of his long lounging chair, Frigga sent them on their way.

"I believe so your majesty." A male physician calmly uttered.

"Thank you." Frigga voiced, kneeling by the side of her unconscious son. Skye stood at the doorframe, observing her majesty as she intently cared for her wounded son. "Would you be so kind as to leave us?" Frigga motioned, causing Skye to turn, about to walk away. As she went to leave however, Frigga mentioned it wasn't her she was talking to, rather the physician standing to her left. As his witnessing form left the two ladies in silence, Frigga turned to glance at Skye.

"I need you to find Mathis. Talk to him, assure him that this accident was not his fault." Frigga kindly confessed to Skye as she bowed her head in respect, leaving to following the queen's requirements.

The sun had begun to descend within the sky, dusk settling upon the lush tournament ground. Very few people had vacated the area, leaving it packed with observing citizens. Many had stayed, celebrating Sir Mathis' victory, however when Skye reached the confined space of his enclosed tent, he didn't seem to be in such a rejoicing mood.

He sat, trembling within the corner chair of his tent, head held within the palms of his hands. His knee was anxiously nodding up and down, refusing to halt while he continued to swallow the disbelief building within his throat.

"Oh, Mathis" Skye cooed, running from the entrance of the tent to kneel before his frantic form. "This wasn't your fault, you never meant to-" Skye was however silenced when Mathis lifted his head, his pleading eyes boring into her own.

Skye jolted backward, standing in shock as he peered toward her. "Please tell me it wasn't your intention to injure the prince." Mathis didn't say a word, only removing his gaze from her own.

"Mathis, please tell me you didn't!" Skye's voice stepped up a notch.

"Of course it wasn't my intention! I never wanted this to happen. I can't however promise you that it wasn't my original objective to humiliate him though." He sternly confessed, rising from his seated position to move toward her heartbroken form.

"Mathis..."

"Skye, I never meant for this to happen, I never-" Skye heard the pain within his voice, the regret. She knew him well enough to know he'd never intentionally injure someone, especially to this extent. Silencing his please, Skye brought her warm palms to comfortingly caress his face.

"I understand. You needn't plea for my forgiveness. You already had it." Skye murmured, running her thumb over his dirt bound skin. "But the Prince, he is in one hell of a state. You shall have to fight for his forgiveness, and I suspect it shan't come easily."

Roughly smiling, he gently drew Skye into a heart-warming embrace. "Oh Skye, no man will ever be worthy of your affections." Skye hesitantly drew backward, receiving a questioning glance from Mathis.

"That my dearest friend is where you are wrong. For you are and have been worthy of my affections for a long time." She whispered, embracing him once more as he firmly thread his arms around her waist. "No woman will ever be worthy of your protection, Mathis. I can assure you of that!" Skye softly uttered, comfortingly caressing the hair located at the nape of his neck. Mathis had never felt so prized and Skye so protected.

"Tell me why you wished to humiliate his lordship?" Skye innocently questioned, as Mathis withdrew from their embrace.

"The other week, you promised me your favour. Today, when he collected it before I, I couldn't help but feel jealous. I couldn't understand why he'd ask you for it in the first place." Mathis sighed in pure defeat. Skye knew he'd been gutted for her mistake.