Chapter 13 | Fade into Darkness

[Past]

* The sky was dark and untamed. Disorderly streams of light pierced the solitude of Asgard, marbling through it like an empty void. Soft clouds of discoloured fog lurked through the silence, lugging itself across the chilled soil below.

The usually astonishing golden castle was triumphant within a radiant haze of warm sunlight. The citadel’s structure was however, in all its glorious edifice, masked by a mist of bewitching ice.

Wind howled from the south, coating the ground with trickling snow from above. It was winter, and the perplexing realm had been graced with its seasonal transformation.

"Skylar?” Loki huffed, swiftly lugging after her through the thick snow. “Let me see!” he confessed, letting his leather boots breathe as they reconnected with the road.

She’d vanished down the brittle cobblestone path, running away into the distance to conceal a hidden possession within her grasp.

Loki wasn’t short to follow.

“Skye…?” He whispered, but there was no response. Sliding to an uneasy halt, Loki advanced forward at a slow place, cautious as he went.  Glancing around, he heeded to the hushed vibes urging through the air before he was yanked to the ground by the corner of his tunic.

"Are you mad-” he mumbled, Skylar silencing his words with her hand.

“Not as mad as you…” she whispered, kneeling beside Loki who was now sprawled across the surface of the snow. “What if the guards catch us!?”

“Don’t change the subject.” Loki huffed, pulling himself to his feet. “Now let me see.”

“Finders - keepers.” Skylar declared, “-and I found it.”

Her words were however overruled with the timid facial expression of her beloved friend. Lifting herself from the ground in defeat, Loki sent her a domineering glance, raising an eyebrow as he did.

“Fine…” she huffed, extending her arm to reveal the glowing gem concealed within her grasp. Loki’s eyes widened. He never thought she reveal it to his sight. It was a beautiful yet fragile stone, blooming with a gentle haze. Sapphire in colour, it radiated from the palm of her hand.

That was until Loki snatched it from her grasp, sprinting away from Skylar’s stunned form.

“LOKI!”

Endeavoured breathes heaved from the young prince’s chest as he bolted through the remainder of the forest. Coming to the river crossing, Loki ran across the sandstone bridge, his shoes sharp across the crisp ice. Turning to stare triumphantly as Skylar finally caught up, Loki lifted himself onto the thick railing.

Staring down at the river canyon below quickly stole an ounce of courage from the young boy’s confidence, making him instantaneously slip upon its frosted exterior. It was higher than he had anticipated, well over 100ft and the once flowing river was now solid ice. Questioning himself, he froze as the wind marvelled around his features.

Steadying himself, Loki lowered his head to stare at the gem, but he only found himself frowning in confusion. It wasn’t glowing

“I don’t understand-”

“Loki?” Skylar called, pulling him back to reality as she rushed across the bridge.  

Clenching the stone within his palm, Loki lifted his hand into the air, repositioning himself for her to see. “Come and get it-” He confidently uttered, but something was wrong. Skylar’s screams filled the air and Loki’s eyes widened in fear. He slipped before he was able to finish his sentence.