Reunited

The Queen stood in the kitchen of her old home, slowly washing dishes in the sink. She had many political monsters over at the castle, questioning her on suddenly returning to the throne.

Their suspicions were justified, but unnecessary. Toriel was just cleaning up after giving each of them pie.

She was exhausted.

This, however, is exactly what she would have to get used to. Being the Queen and all.
"Queen Toriel," it just didn't sound right. Toriel looked around the room, drawing her gaze to the walls and their pictures. This place brought back bad memories. She would have to ignore those memories; keep her focus on the kingdom, and her subjects.

She looked back down at the wet plate in her hand and resumed scrubbing. A knock at the door in the tune of "Shave and a Haircut" broke Toriel from her train of thought. She briefly dried her hands before heading towards the door, not noticing the plate still in her hand.

Probably just more diplomatic monsters. Toriel told herself. She looked through the peephole and, upon seeing no one, opened the door.

Toriel's eyes widened with shock, not believing what they were seeing. Frisk, of all people, stood at the doorway holding her left wrist. A small skeleton in a blue jacket standing silently behind them. "Hey.... Mom."

The grip in Toriel's hand loosened slightly, causing the plate she was holding to fall and shatter on the ground. Toriel didn't flinch. The goat mother lunged forward, engulfing Frisk in a hug. Frisk wrapped their arms around her in return.

"* My.... my child." Toriel said, tears in her eyes. "* I thought you had... that Asgore... that something happened to you!" Frisk smiled.

"It's okay, Mom. I'm here." Toriel laughed slightly, then stood up, wiping her eyes. "* W-won't you stay for dinner?" Toriel asked. The two laughed, and Frisk nodded slightly as they went inside. Sans followed close behind.

———————————————————

Sans swirled around the teacup in his hand, watching the pattern change with each motion. He and Frisk didn't eat anything, they had just had lunch after all, but they did listen to what Toriel had to say.

"* I... couldn't stop worrying about you," Toriel explained. "* So when I overheard monsters outside the ruins talk about rumors, about how you'd been killed! I..." Toriel swallowed. "* I just had to see you. I couldn't live in suspense any longer."

Toriel smiled at Frisk. "* How, may I ask, did you find me?" "I told Sans about how you looked after me in the ruins, and how you stayed there after I left." Frisk turned to look at Sans. "I guess he heard about how the Queen came back from the ruins," Frisk turned back to Toriel. "So we came to see you!" They said happily.

Toriel smiled. "* I'm very glad to see you again my child." Toriel turned her gaze to the skeleton sitting adjacent her. "* So, Sans, was it? Why exactly did you help a human?" Sans sat up straight.

"* well, i sorta made a promise to someone saying i would keep the kid safe. and although i hate promises, i feel like i did a pretty alright job at protectin' em" Sans turned to Frisk, who also wore a smile on their face.

"* and hey, i got a pretty great friend out of it, so it worked out real good in the end."

Toriel's face was overlaid with shock. "* A... promise?" She said surprised. Sans cocked an eyebrow.  Toriel smiled. "* Knock knock." She said abruptly.

Sans was caught off guard, but knew exactly what to say. "* who's there?" "* Hatch." Toriel said simply. "* hatch who?" Toriel looked up at Sans with a smile. "* Gesundheit."