Thirty Eight

Serenity took a step back, her eyebrow raised in question of his statement. Angelo's face remained as cold as ice and she felt her tears dry.

"You think you've seen the best of me, just you wait. My child will not be partaking in any Costello business and I'm just as willing to back up my statement. Don't forget- we both shoot to kill." She growled out before she shoulder checked him to get back in her car.

Before she could put the car in reverse, he opened the door and attempted to pull the key from the ignition. Shoving his hand out the car, she quickly grabbed her glock from the glove compartment and pointed it at his forehead.

"Step away from me, Angelo." She spoke coldly. Angelo smirked down at her as he leaned against her door.

"So you gonna shoot me now? Haven't you learned that isn't gonna happen." Humor laced his tone and fueled her anger.

"I got a lot more to fight for now. Feelings aside, I'll kill you dead where you stand if you try to force my boy into anything." Angelo's face fell as he realized how serious she truly was.

"You're serious?" He spoke in disbelief. "I know I spoke out of emotion, but you know I'd never do anything to hurt you. Serenity?"

"As a heart attack. I'll glady kill and ultimately die before my baby is forcing into this lifestyle. This ain't no way to live and I'll be damned if you or anyone else rob my baby of the freedoms of a real life." She spoke her finger still firmly on the trigger, Angelo's eyes occasionally flickering towards it.

"Alright, w-we can work something ou-" he began to stutter out.

"There's nothing to work out, Angelo. I said what I said. Heed my warning now and spread the word." Serenity tucked the gun by her leg as the sound of footsteps approached their position. A woman, around her age, walked past with a smiling man attached to her hip. Their relationship, normal and seemingly carefree, made her jealous. Here she was pointing a gun at her baby's father.

"I don't doubt you can take any of my men that would come for you, but it won't get to that point. If it comes down to it, we'll hand the business over to another family." Serenity could see that the idea was hard for Angelo to process and her heart ached for him. This lifestyle was probably all he knew which made it an adjustment for him bend to her normality.

"I don't want to fight, Angelo." She blew out a tired breath.

"Then we don't have to. We'll cross the bridge when we get there." Angelo cupped her face softly, searching her eyes for any more opposition. She nodded slightly- her eyes now dry and aching from her day of tears.

"You're right. You're right." She muttered more to herself than him. Dipping down her placed his lips to hers- the kiss sealing in their exchange of words.
...

"Serenity! Get up, you've got papers everywhere." Shaking from her sleep, Serenity groaned at the pain that radiated up her spine. Sleeping in a desk chair while pregnant was one of her worst ideas yet.

"Sorry. Sorry." She mumbled as she tried to stretch away the pain. Vinni carefully stepped over the papers and made his way towards her.

"You need to be in bed, woman. I'm sure all this can wait till the morning." He scolded as he placed his hands under her arms, lifting her from the chair.

"This city never sleeps and crime doesn't take a break." She chuckled as she waddled out of the newly built home office.

It had been over a month since the conversation with Angelo. They'd been taking it a day at a time, but things were obviously becoming more strained as she got closer to finding out the gender of their baby. She was now 16 weeks and her bump was now visible in her normal clothes. It wouldn't be long before she'd have to notify Gandy.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. The city might not sleep but you do." Vinni once again scolded as he helped her up the steps. He'd become her personal assistant- running her errands, escorting her places, even helping her eat and drink. You'd think she was ready to give birth with the way he'd been suffocating her.

"Is...is Angelo coming home tonight?" She questioned shyly. It had been a new trend for her to go to bed alone, wake up alone, only to speak to him for minutes at a time during the day.

"I'm not sure. We've had an uptake in shipments this month and Angelo's got a lot on his plate right now. How about we just get you safely to bed and worry about the rest later?" Vinni rubbed her back lightly as they continued up the stairs.

She'd been convinced to move into the Costello house- only because she thought it would bring her and Angelo closer but had been proven to do the opposite. Between work, the baby, and Angelo Serenity wasn't sure what was going to kill her first.

"You're right, sorry." She bowed her head. Entering her new room, she climbed into her California king bed and snuggled under the heavy covers.

"Goodnight, Serenity." Vinni whispered as he shut off the lamp on the bed side.

"Vinni?" She called before he could make it to the door. His body froze but he had yet to turn around to face her.

"Yeah?"

"C-can you lay with me? I'm tired of being alone, please? Just for a little while." She pleaded sitting up against the headboard. Vinni turned and slowly approached the bed. She was unable to make out his facial expression in the dark so she sat silently staring at him.

"You gonna move over or what?" He joked lightly. Serenity smiled brightly as she excitedly scooted closer to the middle of the bed. Vinni sat on the edge, kicked his slippers off, before swinging his feet onto the bed. His body laid rigidly on the very edge and Serenity began to feel bad for asking him to stay.

"I'm sorry. If you're not comfortable you can leave, I understand." She spoke unable to turn her head to face him. Embarrassment crept up her neck and she closed her eyes at how stupid she was.

"I-it's not that I'm uncomfortable. Fuck, Serenity. I'm too comfortable." He blew out a breath and quickly sat up from the bed. Pacing the length of the bed, his hands frantically ran through his hair as he muttered to himself.

"Vinni?" She questioned. What did he mean? Surely he didn't have feelings for her. They were good friends and neither of them could betray Angelo like that.

"I'll talk to you later, Serenity." He spoke before quickly rushing from the room. Laying back in the bed, Serenity went over his words in her head. Vinni was the last person on earth to catch feelings- let alone for the woman carrying his brothers baby. Her thoughts were interrupted by the door opened softly.

"Vinni?" She called once more. Silence met her ears and she quickly sat up to see Angelo standing near the door. Her eyes widened in surprise before she down cast her eyes.

"Oh. Hi." She spoke softly unsure of what else to say. It wasn't a common occurrence for Angelo to be home and when he did she was usually already asleep.

"Hello, bella." He croaked out before approaching the bed. It looked as if he was conflicted about whether he should get in or not, so she reached her hand out towards him.

"Come to bed."
—————