Two

"So then you entered the residence and what?"

The trio had finished their meals and were now making their way through the bottle of wine. Tate decided to take over the interview so Serenity busied herself with noting all that was said.

"Well the bodies had been in there for weeks so I didn't get far before we called for the crew. Once we got our gear on, we entered the residence and secured the scene." Serenity stopped writing as she noticed his hesitation around the details inside. She looked to see if Tate caught it, but his eyes were focused at something behind her.

Her stomach flipped as she noticed the raw terror take over his usually warm eyes. His bottom lip quivered as he rose his hand to point at whatever he'd been eyeing. Serenity quickly slapped his hand down and grabbed his arm.

"Rule number one if you want to stay alive, don't make yourself obvious. Compose yourself." She whispered harshly into his ear before thrusting him back towards the table. Turning back to Lucas, she could see a glint of fear in his eyes before it was replaced with a focused look. The knots in her stomach tightened until it was almost unbearable. If Lucas was afraid of whatever it was, then it was obviously a major threat to everyone in this restaurant.

Gripping her wine glass, she slowly took a slip, before flipping her hair over her shoulder. As her hair fell she took a peak towards the front of the restaurant. The glass nearly fell from her hand as she caught a glimpse of none other than the Costello brothers.

Her blood ran cold at the realization that the monsters who she'd been recruited to build a case on were less than 100 feet from her.

"This wine is quite sweet. I thought it would be more intense, but it's a nice surprise." She calmed herself by spinning the wine in the glass. Looking up at Lucas she found him taking a sip from his own glass.

"It is quite sweet. Might be because it's more vintage." His eyebrows pulled in thought as he smelled the wine. Serenity could feel the nervous jitters beside her. This kid was a giant red flag in a sea of white waters.

Lucas eyed her after taking in Tate's appearance and nodded at her. She had to get him out of here.

"How can you guys just talk about wine when there they-"

"I think it's about time we call it a night. What do you say Tate?" She cut him off, lifting her eyebrow as she dared him to protest. His eyes flickered to the men behind her, bring her senses back to the burly laughs emitting from the area.

"Tate!" He jumped as he finally looked into her eyes.

"Yea. Yes."
"Great follow me." Standing from her chair, she watched as he stood from his own, his legs trembling slightly.

"It was nice catching up with you Lucas. I hope we can do this again soon?" Leaning down she placed a kiss to his cheek, knowing he'd be watching her back as the pair made their exit.

"Hopefully." She wanted to slap him as she noticed the sarcasm on his tone.

"Come on, honey."
"Wha-"

"Shut up and follow my lead." The whisper came out harsher than she meant it to and she quickly laced their arms, making sure to stand on the side his holster was. If the Costello brothers saw he had a gun, they wouldn't waste time labeling him as a threat.

As she began their stroll to the doors, the clicking of her heels made her want to puke. Finally getting a full view of the crowd Serenity notes that Angelo and Vinni wore identical black suits. They were surrounded by other men, who Serenity observed to be just as big a threat, and Mrs. Vultini- the owner of the restaurant.

The group turned their attention to the pair and Serenity cursed her choice of shoe wear once more. As their gazes pierced her, Serenity felt Tate begin shaking like a leaf. She prayed he kept it together for the last length of their trip. Her eyes remained on the prize as they finally stepped within 10 feet of the group.

"Oh! Serenity! Is that you?" Serenity never thought she'd be angered by the sound of the joyful restaurant owner. Mrs. Vultini was Serenity's neighbor and a constant source of motherly love after her own had passed 4 years ago.

Turning, she focused her eyes on the woman. She fixed a smile on her face.

"Good evening, Mrs. Vultini." Her tone remained cool as she tightened her grip around Tate's arm. Serenity didn't miss the confusion that swept across Mrs. Vultini's face at her use of the formal name. However as the intense shaking of Tate's hands began to shake her own, she realized he hadn't learned not to stare.

"Come here, bella. Who is this handsome young man with you?" Serenity mentally begged the woman to leave her alone before slowly stepping towards the group.

"This is my boyfriend." She placed a smile on her face as she stared up at Tate. His eyes were locked on the Costello brothers and Serenity quickly pinched his wrist.

"Introduce yourself." She gritted out, an unspoken warning hidden behind her tone. Tate stared into her eyes and Serenity realized the man was scared out of his wits.

"Um... m-m-my name is Tate." His eyes flickered between the small, withered woman and the group of men dressed in all black behind her.

"Well it's nice to meet you. I haven't seen Serenity with anyone outside of the few late night visitors." She giggled as she pulled Tate into an embrace.

"Mamma!" The familiar word slipped from Serenity's lips at the revelation. Before she could stop herself, her eyes flickered to the group of men behind Mrs. Vultini. Immediately her eyes locked on to the face of Vinni. He stared up at her with a familiar hunger in his eyes. Her own eyes seemed to have a mind of their own as they rolled before turning back to Mrs. Vultini.

"Well, it was nice seeing you but Tate and I have to get going." Serenity leaned forward to hug the woman, placing a quick kiss to her temple, and grabbing the arm of Tate once more.

"You be careful with that, giovanotto. Nothing good will come of it." She pointed down at Tate's waist and Serenity cursed herself for leaving his side to leave the gun exposed.

"Yeah, yeah. He will. Bye mamma. See you later." She pulled Tate to her side roughly before speed walking to the exit. A prayer to the heavens on her lips that their backs remained free from the familiar rain of Costello bullets.

As they finally escaped the building and into her bmw, Serenity slapped Tate. His head whipped to the side and a yelp escaped his lips.

"You want to stay alive in this profession, huh? You need to grow some balls otherwise you're as good as dead!" She yelled in frustration as she sped out of the parking lot. Although her mind raced, she remembered to take note of any cars tailing her.

"I'm sorry." He whimpered breaking her from her constant shifting from the road to the rear view mirror. Letting out a breath, she held her hand to her forehead. Tonight didn't go, at all, as planned.
_____________