Twenty Nine

Serenity shoved her hands into the pockets of her bomber jacket as she shuffled behind Angelo. Her heart raced and she bit her lip to stop it's trembling. Approaching a room isolated from the rest, she entered behind him as he unlocked the door.

They rounded a corner, the full room coming into view and Serenity felt her breathing hitch. Although simplistic the room screamed elegance and money. He flipped a switch and a soft blue light was cast across the room- it's rays adding another element of mystery and elegance.

"Sorry. Forgot to change that." He laughed lightly as he fiddled with a small black remote.

"It's fine, I like it. This your room?" Her feet took her closer to the bed, a frosted glass closet next to it. Stepping inside, her eyes came into contact with expensive fabrics, watches, cuff links, and dress shoes. Just his closet probably cost more than her entire home.

"Yup. Decorated it myself." He gestured to the empty walls and overall minimalistic room. She giggled before stepping from within the closet. Sitting on the edge of the bed's platform, she pat the space next to her, signaling him to sit down.

They simply sat next to one another, their arms occasionally brushing. Serenity wanted to speak but she wasn't sure of what to say.

"You know," he chuckled lightly before biting his lip as he hesitated to say the words, "I-I've never felt more vulnerable than I do when I'm with you."

His head hung slightly at the confession. Serenity wasn't sure if that was good or bad.

"And I've never...never felt like this before. I love you so much it's scary sometimes. This love is unlike anything I've ever felt before. Just the sound of your name sends chills down my spine and raises the hair on my arms." As he confessed his feelings, his head remained hung so she was unable to see his expression. The words hit her heart and warmed it from the inside out. Her lips pulled as she felt herself wanting to smile.

He ran his hands through his hair before setting his chin on top of his knuckles- his elbows supporting his weight on his knees.

"I didn't know you felt like that." She lied through her teeth. Even a blind man could see Angelo loved her.

"Bullshit. I made sure you knew you were the woman I wanted to...and always will want to spend the rest of my life with." He popped up from his position and kneeled before her. The rawness behind his eyes taking her breath away.

"Talk to me, Serenity. Tell me I'm not alone in this." His eyes searched her own desperately.

"Angelo, I-I." She stuttered as she tried to formulate her words. He took her hands in his and a wave of calmness fell over her.

"I hated you for a long time." She confessed. His face took on a pained expression and he nodded in understanding.

"I hated you for making me into that person. The person I was ten months ago was terrible, Angelo. I drank almost every hour of the day. My mind was in a terrible place and I could barely do my job anymore. Each night, as I drowned myself in those bottles, I cursed your name. I hated you so much for what you'd made me." He listened intently. The grip on her hands tight.

"But as I got clean I realized I'd done it to myself. The situation I was in had nothing to do with you, I chose to turn to a bottle instead of the people who cared about me. I learned to forgive you in the process of forgiving myself. As I got clean, I realized that I couldn't continue to harbor those feelings because nothing good would come of it, so I dove in head first. What I expected to be filled with hate and anger was filled with unconditional love and happiness." Serenity confessed to him.