Eight

Serenity slowly opened her eyes, her body felt lighter than she'd ever felt before. Looking across her room, she noticed the red numbers of her alarm letting her know it was 7:15am.

Jumping from her bed, she quickly started up her shower before pulling out clothes for work. At this point she was already 15 minutes late so she quickly stuffed her frizzy hair into a bun before placing a wrap over the mess.

After the quick shower, she threw on a simple fitted red dress that stopped just below her knees and a pair of skinny black stilettos. She was out of the hotel by 7:40am and zooming down the highway. Unfortunately, there were a number of security measures that needed to happen before she could enter the building leaving her arriving at her office at 8:30am.

"Serenity, where have you been? I called you 10 times." Before she could even sit at her desk, the voice of Tate hit her ears. She blew out a breath as she realized she'd left her phone in her hotel room.

"And what the hell happened to your neck?" Her eyes widened as she realized she didn't even think to cover the hickeys Angelo left behind.

"Shit! Can this morning get any worse?" As if the universe was punishing her for her actions, she heard the familiar voice of the director shouting her name.

"Stall him for me?" She gave Tate puppy dog eyes as she remembered she always kept a small makeup bag in her desk. He rolled his eyes before exiting her office and heading towards the directors office. Serenity made quick work of covering the many hickeys splattered across her neck and chest while also applying some bb cream to brighten her skin.

"Serenity! Serenity! You better be in your office or so god help me-" Mr. Gandy burst into her office just as she stuffed away her makeup. She quickly stood from her chair waiting for him to say something.

"Why were you late?" His eyes narrowed as he eyed her closely.

"I'm sorry, sir. After all that's happened I've been taking melatonin and I must have overslept. It won't happen again." It was particularly true expect Angelo had actually been her sleep aid.

"Don't let it happen again or you can kiss this job goodbye!" He stormed out of her office and down the hall to yell at another unsuspecting employee.

"So?" Tate leaned against the doorway. Serenity wanted to slap the smirk off his face.

"Drop it." Her voice left no room for discussion and she made a mental note to keep an eye on her neck through the day.

"Well alright then. Anyway, there's been another case so we can go down there whenever you're ready." Tate drummed against the wood of the door as he shifted from foot to foot. Serenity felt a headache brewing as she opened her email to see a number of agents reporting the case numbers for her to look into. It was no secret that all the agents preferred to speak directly to Serenity to dispatch case information. From there she would share and discuss it with Tate.

"Okay. Give me a minute." She rubbed her temples as she marked each email as important before discarding those she'd already handled. Turning off her monitor, she stood and gestured for Tate to lead the way.

The scene was just as she expected. It was an empty home, previously owned by an elder couple who'd been moved into a nursing home years before. The body inside had yet to be identified due to their state.

"So what do we got?" She spoke from behind her mask as she eyed the blood and brain matter splattered across the floor.

"Male. Unknown age. All his fingers and toes have been removed at the joints. Quarter inch incisions all over the torso. Third degree burns across the back. Evidence of sodomy and castration via chemical removal. Blunt force trauma to the head. Skulls been crushed to bits." Serenity felt her stomach stir as she listened to all they had found. She could only imagine what else they'd find when an actual autopsy was performed.