52 - Summer Blues

Começar do início

And with that, he stormed out from the kitchen, slamming the door behind him.

*****

Draco's heart gave a heavy squeeze as he saw that the door of the room he used to share with Astoria was open.

Holding his breath, he stepped inside. Scorpius was stood over the bed, looking down at where his mother once lay.

"Please tell me you never brought her back here, Dad."

"Never," Draco said at once, relieved he could answer honestly.

Scorpius did not lift his head but instead reached out a hand as he tenderly stroked his mother's pillow. It broke Draco's heart.

"How could you have done this to her? How could you have done this to me?"

Draco swallowed, feeling a horrific pain in his chest.

"I'm so sorry, Scorp. I regret the hurt this has caused you. But I don't regret Etta. I could never. I know you don't understand, and I don't expect you to, but I love her. None of this was her fault, so if you are going to be mad at anyone then be mad at me-"

"I AM MAD AT YOU!" Scorpius's head whipped up as he glared at Draco in a way that he had never seen before. The anger and hurt in his face left Draco feeling momentarily winded.

"How could you have done that?" Scorpius continued shakily as Draco hung his head in shame. "To do what you did – to me... to Mum. I've always looked up to you, Dad. I've always thought that you were brave for everything you have been through. But today- today I discover that you are nothing but a coward. And I am ashamed to call you my father."

Draco snapped his head up, flinching. "Scorp, please-"

"You had another family all this time! You knew that my best friend was actually my brother! And you said nothing. I feel like you have been laughing at me, Dad. Have you? Have you been laughing? Because that's how it feels."

To Draco's horror, Scorpius's voice cracked as tears began to spill from his eyes. He immediately stepped towards him, wanting to comfort him.

"Son-"

"DON'T!"

Draco froze as Scorpius held his hand up in front of him.

"Just leave me alone, Dad," he sobbed, lowering himself down onto the bed. "I don't think I can even look at you anymore."

His heart racing, Draco slowly turned on the spot and walked resignedly out of the room. He had made such a mess of everything. His selfish behaviour had hurt everyone he loved. He had never hated himself more.

Lights dotted his vision as he came across the portrait of his father in the hallway. Without thinking, he threw a fist into it. It felt good so he did it again, and again, repeatedly smashing his knuckles through Lucius's proud face.

Only when the painting was destroyed beyond recognition did he sink down to the floor, cradling his battered hand as he let out a loud, heart wrenching sob.

*****

I felt a horrible loneliness gnaw at my stomach as I climbed into bed that night. It seemed so huge and empty without Draco in it.

My phone started vibrating on my bedside table, making me jump. I picked it up and my heart leapt with joy at the name flashing across the screen.

"Draco," I breathed, answering immediately.

"I miss you." I closed my eyes at the comforting sound of his voice, swallowing down the lump that formed in my throat. "How's Albus doing?"