Chapter Seven - On the run

Chapter Seven – On the run

05:00am its 5am my body was screaming to stop running and rest, Hemming was non-stop he wanted to get out of the air kingdom before day light hit and the palace woke up and realised I was missing. All I could think of was poor Rosie who as far as I was aware is still asleep in my bed, I hope they don’t punish her too hard. 

“Hemming can we stop soon please I’m exhausted and need some sleep.” I whined feeling very sorry for myself.

“Willow we need to keep going, we are roughly 20 minutes away from the border and then I promise we can rest. Once we are off the air kingdoms land we will be fine we have the sanctuary of the earth kingdom then. Just keep running.” 

Knowing too well that if they caught us Hemming would be charged with kidnapping a royal and lord knows what they would do to me being locked up all day was horrible and if I had to give up my one hour a day of freedom I think I would go mad. Picking up speed the thought of going back to my prison of a home scared me and I really don’t want to face the wrath of my mother.

The sound of running water makes me smile, the border is closer we just need to get across the river and we are safe. Breaking through the trees the water is a welcome sight after the hours of running my tired feet screamed in pleasure as the cold water embraced them. Lifting my dress I walk deeper into the water following the path Hemming cast through the water trusting his footsteps. “Can you hear that?” Hemming questioned spinning. I tried to close out the noise of the river and the wildlife surrounding it when I noticed the distant sound of barking dogs. They were coming the royal hunting party were hunting us down and using their dogs to track us.

“Willow we need to pick up speed we need to get across this water before they see us. They can’t stop us then. Get on my back I’ll carry you across it will be quicker that way.” Jumping up on to his back I take the bags from his hands and hold them above my heads to keep them out of the water. Picking up speed Hemming practically sprinted to the other side of the river, running up the bank Hemming hoisted me up into one of the trees quickly following behind me. Sitting in the tree we slowed our breathing to a practical stop waiting for the palace guards to reach the river.

“We need to wait until they have gone, they won’t dare come onto this side of the river without a pardon from the earth King, just sit tight and don’t make a sound ok.” Whispering but very clear with his instructions I simply nodded at what Hemming just said, I stare at the river waiting for the ever nearing pack. The sound of dogs barking and hooves galloping seemed to over whelm my senses as the royal guard in all their white and blue splendour arrived with such authority I almost wanted to climb down from the tree and join them. The crowd of guard at the waters suddenly part as the queen walks to the water’s edge clearly furious with the sudden stop of the hunt.

“Why have we stopped.” The bitterness in her voice made me want to curl up even more into Hemming hoping he would protect me from the woman I called mother.

“We can’t cross the river your majesty that’s Earth Kingdom territory we can’t enter that land without pardon from His Royal Highness.” Dropping into a low curtsy the guard looked like he was about to tumble into the river if he scooped down any further.

The sour look on my mother’s face was enough to have the majority of guards to lower the gazes and avoid looking at her in fear of ramification. “I refuse to speak to that dog. I order you to cross the river.” Screaming at the guards they all looked confused by what to do.

A sudden bellow nearly knocked me out of the tree. “You step one foot on my land Aura and I will personally remove you from it. Is that clear.” Snarling and growling wolves appear underneath the tree me and Hemming currently occupy. Their snarls however weren’t aimed at us but at my mother.

For the first time in my life my mother backed down, her faced turned from an icy sneer to a warm smile as she faced our side of the river. “Oh Fox I think you must be confused darling my daughter has been kidnapped by a rogue from your kingdom I just wish to retrieve her to where she belongs.”

The man she named fox never backed down, more wolves appeared and his stance became firm “No Aura as I am to believe your ‘daughter’ ran from the air kingdom and is claiming refuge with my son not a rogue. So once again I warn you step foot on my land and I will remove you with force.” My eyes instantly look at Hemming, Fox was his father which would make him a royal too. Oh lord this is going to get messy. A cackle so bone chillingly loud interrupted my internal debate.

“You think you have authority over me you snivelling pup, I highly advise you back down fox.” Her tone suddenly sharp the bitterness seeping into her voice, her face becoming twisted into a so called smile I was so used to. “Now move and you will not be hurt.”

Laughing, laughing was the response Fox came up with. I knew this was going to end badly my mother does not do well with humour. “I am not moving Aura nor are my pack. Does Alize know you’re here I’m sure my dear old friend would love to know his wife is declaring war on one of the oldest alliances in the history of our four kingdoms. Return to the palace Aura you are not welcome on my land nor are your men.” The authority in his voice was so immense I instantly respected the red headed man below me. I wanted to bow on the floor and make sure he never used that tone with me. With sudden movement across the river my mother stormed off through the words her guards and hunters following behind her. The sudden howls of wolves around me gave me goose bumps the power and high pitched tone of the howl was almost celebratory. Looking at Hemming’s hand which was now in front of me I realised it was time to get down from our hiding place and meet the people or wolves below.

“So you finally come down.” Fox, a warm face with a hint of a smile on his lips but his eyes shone with laughter at the site of his son all in black with leaves in his hair and me dressed in a silk dress with mud splatters and a few holes in. We must have looked a real sight.

“Hi dad.” Coughing and rubbing the back of his neck with hand, he pulled me from behind him. “This is Willow but you already know that, erm sorry about that we must have been followed and we thought it was best to hang out until they went or you appeared.” For the first time since meeting Hemming he was clearly flustered even with the smile on his face I could see the respect coming from him the way he lowered his head in a semi curtsy before speaking was a clear sign of that. However throughout the conversation his eyes never left his fathers. His dad just lightly chuckled again this man clearly finds things amusing.

“So young Willow you’re the one everyone is fighting over, I’m sorry you had to see that I would never want to hurt you. My son has told me what you have been through a lot in the last two years, I’m sorry for that but we had no way of knowing what they had done with you.” The confusion must have been clear on my face as he carried on. “I am getting ahead of myself are you ok Willow? My name is Elliot Fox but everyone calls me Fox.”

Simply nodding I didn’t know what to say this man he just let slip that he knew me and that they were trying to find me. Why would they try to find me? More questions fill my already clouded mind. He nodded once as if understanding the confusion going through my mind, Hemming grabbed my hand in a reassuring manner. Smiling at h everything seemed to clear my mind as I looked into his deep green eyes. Clearing his throat I looked back to Fox. “I have cleared a room at the pack house next to yours Hemming, I thought you would like your own space.”  

“Thank you your Highness that would be very much appreciated.” Offering him a warm smile I curtseyed as I was always taught to do when meeting other royals.

“Stop that right now Willow you do not bow to me, you’re my sons mate and you will be treated as such.”

“What’s a mate?”  Suddenly all eyes were on me with that one simple question. Turning to his son Fox looked angry.

“What did they do to her? Does she know nothing of her past or what she is?” Looking back to me the concern in his eye worried me. “Willow this is a discussion for later when we are not so in the open.”