Chapter Five - Hemming's Gang

Chapter 5 – Hemming’s Gang

Looking into the perfectly clear mirror like water I take in my appearance for the first time in my maids outfit. A light chuckle escapes my lips; the bland brown ankle length skirt is slightly too large on my petite figure, the cream top with slight embroidered detailing around the neckline would be acceptable if not pared with the awful skirt. My feet are bare as normal whilst in the woods; for some reason the need to feel the earth underfoot overwrites all the social etiquette I have been taught. I remove the small white cap which was attempting to cover my hair; it’s one of my most defining features, the rich brown tones so polar opposite of my parents and the majority of the air kingdom with their ethereal white locks and blue eyes. My hazel eyes seem to glow amber as I stare into the reflection of the lake.

Sighing at the reflection of myself when suddenly everything is altered as ripples appear, a water boatman bug skates through the now disfigured reflection; looking graceful bathed in the moonlight oblivious to the scrutiny I was giving myself. I would class myself as the outsider, the freak; people think I can’t hear them whisper at my clearly different appearance or the gasps as new arrivals see me for the first time. 

The breaking of twigs and leaves rustling brought me out of my self-pitying party, spinning round my vision was filled with Hemming. As he slowly walked towards me I began to notice the others behind him; instantly I felt uneasy as they spread out into a line formation preventing me from any escape I could have planned.

“I thought he said she was a princess.” A member of the many men all dressed in black commented to another. A few of the men laughed in response to the man.

“Tsuki.” Hemming stepped forward alone he reached out for me, his eyes never leaving mine as he pulled me into an embrace. The security of his arms took away some of the tension in my body.

“I thought you said you were going to answer my questions? Why are there men with you.” I kept glancing from left to right at the men standing in the shadows, still in Hemming’s arms i was not ready to let him go just yet.

“These men are some of the best fighters in our pack,” spinning us to face them but still with his arm around me he began to introduce the men. “This is Zion, my second in command and best friend. If you are ever in trouble he will look after you when I’m not there to do so.”

Zion stepped forward shaking my hand “It is a pleasure to meet you, your highness. I have heard many things about you” Slate grey eyes I instantly trusted was the first thing I noticed about him. I slowly took in the rest of his appearance; his hair a lighter shade of brown with a slight reddish tone to it, a soft face with dimples when he smiled made me smile in return as he winked before falling back into line.

“Lucas is my cousin.” The next man stepped forward again shaking my hand with a curt nod he stepped straight back in line. I continued to look at him as he stared straight forward as if I wasn’t there. The dark brown almost black hair was almost identical to Hemming’s clearly a family trait as were the green eyes; however Lucas’ didn’t have the deep tones, gold flecks or the warmth as Hemming’s did.

“Twins Robert and Daniel.” Two men walk forward laughter fill their eyes as they take in my appearance clearly amused by my title. “You’re Highness.” One of the twins drops into an extremely low curtsy clearly mocking my appearance. Twin two pulling at the collar of twin one suddenly speaks breaking the laughter coming from behind them. “I’m sorry your majesty Robert is just slightly confused from your choice of outfit, we were made to believe you lived in finery from the palace not a scrubbing girl.” Both sets of blue eyes focused on me with clear amusement.

My back straightened instantly, no one has ever spoken such words toward me; yes behind my back when they thought I couldn’t hear but never too my face. A noise so primal and deep came from Hemming; the only way to describe it would be as a growl. Turning to face him his usual green eyes flashed a deep black; the change happened so fast from green to black and then back again I thought I may have made it up. 

Robert and Daniel instantly stopped their laughing nodding at me stone faced before stepping back into line. Staring at Hemming I begin to question what just happened when he spoke over me.

“Finally my nephew Orion.” Clearly the youngest of all the men I would put him at roughly 15 stepped forward. With a quick nod of his head a bright smile erupted onto his face along with the slightest blush on his cheeks.

“Hi your highness it’s nice to meet you, my name is Orion but please call me anything but that please I really don’t like that name.”

Chuckling I let go of his hand and faced Hemming I think it’s about time I got some answers.

“What’s going on Hemming?”