Chapter One - The palace

Chapter One - The Palace

I pace up and down my room waiting for the guard to come, and get me; for people who supposedly love me they lock me up all day, until they are ready to parade me around in front of a whole load of people, I am supposed to recognise as old family friends or relatives. I can smell them, they are not the same as me; their scent is different. I sit at the table, looking at the latest supposed cousins, gorging themselves on the feast before them. I suppose I should introduce myself to the new arrivals, I can see the queen (my supposed mother) staring pointedly at me.

Well here goes, I cough to get the attention on to myself. "Good evening cousins, I would like to formally introduce myself. I am Princess Willow Tsuki Zephyr of the air kingdom. It's a pleasure to meet you."

I sit down and sigh, waiting to finally be excused from the formalities of the palace. Once a night I have an hour to myself where I can run, be free from the trappings of a princess. I have one spot I always head too, it is truly breath taking. It's on the edge of the kingdom. Trees as high as the sky and surround a tranquil lake of still water, so still it's as if you can walk across it. The one place I feel a connection to the life I want to escape to. I close my eyes briefly, and see my dream boys eyes, pools of green with flecks of gold within. They call to me, I need to find him.

I suddenly stand up, scraping the chair as I do so; the whole room looks at me.

"Willow; what are you doing." Queen Aura asked, sounding frustrated again. This was her normal tone when speaking to me; it always seemed that she was bored of my presence.

Trying my hardest not to roll my eyes at her, I lower them instead and speak in a hushed whispered tone. "Sorry mother, I suddenly feel very nauseas and wondered if I could excuse myself for some fresh air." lifting my eyes to meet hers, I give a forced smile. Queen Aura slightly stiffens; clearly uncomfortable with me asking this in front of guests. I know I am pushing it I am not meant to leave for another hour yet. Looking at the King (my supposed father) I can see the silent argument happening between him, and the Queen.

"Of course you can darling, just please don't come in to late. I hope you feel better soon." King Alizé was the warmest of people. I truly felt loved by him. He always seemed to have my best intentions at heart.

Slowly walking out of the room; shoulders back, I walk with all the poise and grace hours of tutoring had installed in my brain. As soon as i turned the corner, I lift my floor length dress, and run up the stairs two at a time. I need to break free of this dress, it is just another example of the trapping I long to escape from.