lxxxi. what if? (2)

Tony shifted back and forth on his feet, tears shining in his eyes as Peter was lifted up and carried from his sight.

It seemed that just moments ago he was crumbling to dust in his kid's arms, and now Peter was gone? Was their life supposed to be a joke?

Did the God of life or death or whatever think it was funny? Because Tony sure didn't.

Ironic maybe, a little bit morbid, but God no it wasn't funny. The second he saw Strange raise his hand, the second he saw the look on his face, he knew exactly what Peter was planning on doing.

And God if he hadn't tried to beat him there. But the spider kid was simply too fast. Too fast and too driven. There had been no stopping him.

And they won. Thanos and his army were dead. But at what cost? Why did winning mean that he had to lose the kid, his kid?

"Tony." His wife's voice cracked. Her hand was in his and there were still tears trailing down her face.

"He's really gone." The billionaire whispered. It wasn't a question. No, it was more of a resigned statement.

Pepper's lips were pursed as she nodded. "We need to go home. There's someone you need to meet." She said finally.

"But, Pe-" Tony cut himself off, sucking in a sharp breath. "We can't leave."

The ginger blinked back tears. "Tony, Honey, please. You can see him again soon, just-just come home." She begged softly.

Slowly, Tony nodded. There was nothing for him here anymore. "Alright. Alright. Let's go."

With his arm firmly around his wife, they turned to Strange, who had a sad smile on his face as he opened a portal for them.

And Tony stepped forward, feeling his heart crack as he left behind the place that once was home, a place that he'd once walked with Peter.

The portal closed behind them and Tony found himself looking around in confusion. "Where are we?" He murmured.

"Home." Pepper's voice broke as she stepped forward, out of her husband's hold.

There was a loud exclamation of excitement behind the door of the cabin Pepper and Peter had made a home, and suddenly the door was flying open.

"Mommy!" Morgan shouted, then turned her head. "Uncle Happy! Uncle Happy, Mommy's home!"

Tony froze.

Pepper crouched down to embrace her daughter as the four year old darted into her arms.

"Petey said that's a birthday present, Mommy. Did you snoop in the garage too?"

The woman's face crumpled as she nodded. "Yeah, Sweetheart."

Happy then stepped out of the cabin with wide eyes.

"It worked?" He breathed, eyes wide as he took in Tony.

The billionaire's eyes were still glued on Morgan. "Wh-who?" He managed to gasp.

"Morgan, sweetie, do you know who this is?" Pepper murmured softly to her daughter.

The toddler tilted her head curiously, then gasped dramatically. "Daddy? But Petey said he's up in the star chasing all the bad dreams away!" She cried, clutching her mother tightly.

"Well, I'm back." Tony said finally, regaining his composure.

Morgan smiled shyly, then hesitantly reached for him. Gaping, he took her into his arms. "Morgan?" He questioned.