xx. cold

You know you're a writer when you crash into a ditch and the first thing you think is 'ooh I should write a one shot about this'

"So why'd you choose me to come with you?" Peter asks giddily as he climbs into the passenger seat of Tony's car. Tony glances at him and once he's sure he's buckled up, he pulls out of the garage.

"I don't know. We haven't done much together recently. Thought it'd be fun." Tony says with a shrug. Peter nods, taking his coat off and putting it on the floor by his feet.

It was freezing outside but inside the car it was nice and toasty. "And you texted May right?" Peter asks. Tony snorts. "Yes Peter, for the millionth time, I told your aunt where we're going and that we won't be back until tomorrow." He says.

Peter nods and looks out the window as they drive through the city. "So what are we even getting?" He asks. Tony shrugs. "Hell if I know. Some award thing about six or seven hours out." He says.

Peter scrunches his nose. "That'll be boring. And besides it's already six." Peter says. Tony nods. "I know. We'll stop around eleven. There's a hotel up there we can stay at. Then in the morning we'll actually get there." He says.

"Okay." Peter says, pulling his legs up onto the seat with him and leaning against the window. Tony flicks on the radio and AC/DC starts blasting. Peter jolts in shock, his wide eyes displaying his emotions.

Tony barks out a laugh and turns it down. Peter grins and mutters the lyrics under his breath. "You like rock? No wonder I keep you around." Tony jokes. Peter scoffs playfully.

"Ah, you kee me around 'cause you love me." He jokes at his mentor. Tony rolls his eyes with a small smile. "Yeah kid. I guess there's that too. But mostly the music thing." He lies. Peter grins, going back to looking out the window. This day was turning out just fine.

They talk off and on for a few hours and at ten Peter is nearly falling asleep and Tony had turned off the radio so he could pay better attention to the icy road. Maybe if Peter wasn't there he'd be a little more reckless.

But his kid was in the car so he was not going to risk crashing. Peter yawns again and Tony smiles over at him, knowing he'll probably have to carry his sleeping body into the hotel.

When he looks back at the road he sees snow drifting across it and drives around it slowly and uneasily. He always hated icy roads. He'd crashed into ditches and ruined countless cars when he drove recklessly in the winter.

Not recently obviously, but he used to. Suddenly wind blows the car onto an icy patch and they start spinning. Peter sits up with wide eyes, clutching the seat. "Oh shit oh shit oh shit!" Tony swears, taking his feet off the pedals and swerving into the spin, just like you're supposed to and they still dive headfirst into the snowy ditch.

His head smacks back against the headrest and his ears are ringing but he doesn't pay attention to that at all. "Peter!" He cries out. Peter was looking at him with a wide eyes and a panicked face.

"Are you Okay? Are you hurt?" Tony asks quickly. Peter shakes his head. "No, no I'm fine. I just... that scared me." He says. Tony closes his eyes, leaning back against the seat and taking a deep shaky breath.

He doesn't think he's ever been that scared. "Tony can we drive backward outta the ditch?" Peter asks. Tony opens his eyes and turns around, looking out at the road. Then he looks at the nose of the car that's buried in the snow and winces.

"Yeah, no. We're stuck here kid." He says. He then notices that the car isn't on. His eyes widen. If the car wasn't on then Peter couldn't keep warm. He takes the key out then puts it back in, turning it and crossing his fingers, whispering pleads under his breath.