lxxix. remember

This popped into my head and it's terrible ngl but here ya go

Peter sat, tapping his fingers against the wheel as he contemplated. He visited as often as he could, but he didn't know if he could do this today.

His phone ringing beside him pulled him out of his thoughts, and he glanced over at it, seeing MJ's name.

Swiping the phone up from the seat, he pressed accept and held it to his ear.

"Hey, M. What's up?" He greeted tiredly.

"Hi, babe. You on your way home yet?" He could hear faint crying in the background.

"Ah, no. I'll be back in maybe half an hour. I stopped to see him." Peter answered, looking down.

"Alright. If it's a good day, tell him hi for me." She responded softly.

Peter sighed softly. "Yeah. Love you, bye."

"Love you."

MJ hung up and Peter pulled the phone away with another heavy sigh.

Since he'd already told her, it looked like he had to go inside. Walking inside took longer than it should have, but he was stalling.

Pushing the doors open, Peter shot a smile to the receptionist. "Hi Mr. Parker. I assume you remember the way?"

"Yep. Good to see you, Cathy." He said, a hesitant tone to his voice.

Clearing his throat, he walked down the hall and paused in front of the oh so familiar door.

His eyes fell shut and he leaned his head against it sadly. With one final, steadying breath, he knocked.

"Come in." A familiar voice called.

Opening the door, Peter smiled weakly. "Hey Mr. Stark." He said softly.

The man tilted his head at Peter from his spot in his bed.

"Do I know you?"

Peter faltered, his breath hitching. He swallowed and made his way to the chair beside the bed.

"No," Peter lied, "I'm a friend of your daughter's, though."

That seemed to make the billionaire suspicious. He narrowed his eyes. "Morgan? She's just a kid. Why would you be friends with her?" He interrogated.

"No, Mr. Stark. Morgan is twenty two." His voice broke as he explained it.

Tony blinked. "What?"

"You, uh, got hurt. Hit your head. Should clear up soon." Peter lied with a toothy smile.

The man seemed to relax at that. "So I do know you, then?" He interrogated.

Peter blinked back his tears, clearing his throat. "Nah." It hurt everytime he had to remind the man.

"So why're you here, then?"

"Morg wanted me to check on you." He lied, struggling to keep his smile.

Tony huffed. "You checked on me. I'm fine." He snapped.

Peter recoiled. "Yeah. I'll get going then."

He pulled himself up, hands trembling. "See you, D- Mr. Stark." He breathed, turning to the door.

"Pete? What are you doing here?"

Peter's heart dropped. Slowly, he turned back around, eyes filled with a cautious hope.

"Mr. Stark?" He questioned.

"Hey, Kiddo. Shouldn't you be at school? It's a school day, right?"

Peter's breath stuttered as he smiled, almost painfully.

"Weekend, actually." He choked out.

"Oh."

There was a small silence. "Well what are you doing over there? Come gimme a hug."

Peter nearly collapsed right then and there, walking over and leaning over the bed, wrapping his arm firmly around his father.

"Missed ya, Tony." He mumbled.

The man chuckled when Peter finally pulled away. "It's Tony now? What'd I do to finally get you to quit calling me Mr. Stark?"

Tears gleamed in the younger man's eyes. "Felt like changing things up a bit. I- uh, I have to get going." He murmured, smiling bitterly.

"Oh, alright. See you kiddo."

Peter nodded, turning and walking to the door. He was breathing unsteadily now, tears pooling in his eyes.

Suddenly, Tony spoke up again, "Pete? What are you doing here?"

Peter looked back at him, blinking back his tears. "I was just leaving, Tony." He whispered, seeing the confused glaze that settled over the older man's eyes.

He blinked in confusion and Peter finally walked out, letting his tears fall. Walking back toward the exit, he wiped his face.

"See you, Mr. Parker." Cathy said, a sad smile on her face.

Peter nodded to her and made his way back out to the car. He sat there for a few moments, letting himself cry.

It just wasn't fair. It didn't seem right. The man in there was Iron Man. Superheroes didn't get dementia, it just wasn't right.

But, he supposed, age eventually caught up to everyone. Peter stopped crying, squeezing his eyes shut, then peeling them back open and grabbing his phone again.

He pulled up his wife's contact and dialled.

"Hey Peter. How'd the visit go?" MJ asked.

"Uh, not so good. I'm on my way home." He murmured, heaving another sigh.

"I'm sorry, baby," There was a pause as a child shrieked in the background, "well, Benjamin says hi. See you at home."

"See you at home," he returned. And he left.