Xxiv. Babae ka Lang [Mature]

Destiny worked for Digong and Leni. Ever since the relief operations began for the recent earthquake victims in Davao, it was inevitable for the two not to see each other and the operations went on a daily basis — meaning, they had to see each other everyday as well.

"Sir," she greeted upon seeing him supervising. "Uy," he replied. "Ang aga bumangon ha?" She emphasized, "alas diyes palang batak na batak na." She added

He chuckled, "wala mang magsupervise kung di babangon ng maaga." The truth was he was just excited to see her again.

She accompanied him in supervising the operations and serving the calamity stricken people. They had light and happy conversations while working.

"Mam, sir," someone politely called their attention interrupting their talk.

They turned to them and saw a small circle of young ones, "pwede po magpapicture?" They requested.

The two humbly agreed and smiled with them on camera. The others took the opportunity to have a photo with the past president and vice president together as well.

"La, ikaw kumuha picture." One of the kids instructed her grandmother.

The elder approached Digong and Leni after taking their photos, "salamat ah, itong apo ko kanina pa gusto kumuha ng litrato ninyo." She shared oblivious of who they were.

"Okay lang po," Leni replied. "Oo, pagpalain kayong mag-asawa ng Diyos." She felt grateful, it shook Digong and Leni.

"Mag-asawa?" She mumbled and looked at Digong. He snickered, "salamat lola."

"Ah, hindi naman po kami mag-asawa, nay," she laughed and corrected her. The elder looked surprised, "ah ganon ba? Kasintahan mo pa lamang ito?" She asked.

"Ah?" Leni and Digong laughed. "Eh ka-isi ko mag-asawa na kayo. Bakit kayo nagtatabi rito? Para kayong mag-asawa." She insisted, "ah hindi po, nay." Leni blushed.

"Hindi mo kasintahan ito?" She asked Digong but he just chuckled.

"La, uwi na tayo." Her apo called her and escorted her home. "Thank you po." They thanked them once again.

He sat on the couch and got on his socks and leather oxfords. He was about to settle down until he had a glimpse of a column in the newspaper.

His eyebrows furrowed as he saw his fiancé and her ex on a single photo. He read through the article and discovered that it was their recent photo in Davao during the relief operations.

He immediately called her up.

The city government of Davao organized a small thank you gala for all their partners. Leni entered the standby room and saw Digong struggling on his necktie. "Oh sir, nandito pa pala kayo?" She charged her phone.

"Ah, nauna na sila lumabas." He continued trying to fix his necktie.

A soft smile grew on her lips. Nobody was around to help him out but her. She strode towards him, "pa-try ako." She offered.

His cheeks slowly turned red as their faces stood close next to each other while she fix his necktie. She looked up to him and smiled, "ang tagal tagal mo nang nagnenecktie hindi ka parin marunong mag-ayos."

He scratched his head, "hindi ko man ma-ano yung ikot ikot. Ikaw naman nag-aayos niyan lagi," he recalled and suddenly regretted bringing it up, "noon." He added.

She finished fixing his tie, she looked up to him and realized that was the first time they had the chance to be that close again in a room full of nobody but them.