Vi. Public Enemies

A/N: How did everyone spend their Christmas? Hope you enjoy this chapter like how you all enjoyed the holiday! Xo

People within their circles didn't have the courage to interrogate them about what happened. All they know is something bad occurred between the two of them after seeing Leni with her eyes glistening in tears upon walking out of the president's office and Digong being all quiet. Delfin just waited for him to share about it instead of asking him. Jorge tried asking Leni about the talk but she always tell him that they had a confrontation and it's all fine.

Even him, who's one of the closest person to Leni, can't figure out what happened. He knows how Digong and Leni values each other no matter how complicated their relationship is, she would always defend him to him whenever he insults her in public like she's holding onto something so important. Yet, he know she was in pain, she can say she's fine but he could see the misery in her eyes.

Ano kayang nangyari? He asked himself.

"Wala. Wag na tayo magpaapekto. Tuloy ang ikot ng mundo. Marami pa tayo trabahong kailangan gawin, yun nalang yung pagtuunan natin ng pansin." She said in front of her staffs.

"Grabe talaga si Duterte noh?"
"Napakatrapo. Ang ayos ayos ni ma'am magtrabaho eh."
"Maka-Marcos kase talaga yan." Murmurs swarmed the room.

Jorge remained silent, he could really feel that it was more than just a fight that happened. She was hurting but she conceals her pain by pretending to be fine and tough but all her portrayals won't work on Jorge because he knows how vulnerable and emotional she is when it comes to Digong.

DND secretary Lorenzana called Leni for a security briefing that was actually Digong's order. The president commanded Delfin to always brief her and update her with important security information. Leni and Delfin has been good friends, it was an easy thing for her to work with him despite that he's a good friend of Digong.

"Akala ko hindi ka pupunta madam." Delfin jested as they spoke after the meeting. "Bakit naman hindi?" She chuckled.

"Balita ko hindi kayo in good terms ni ano," he hesitated to drop the name. She smiled, "hindi naman siya yung pinunta ko dito."

He just confirmed that she's not really in good terms with his friend. Little did she know that Digong already told Delfin the story, he is also aware of the real reason why he had to lead things to where it is, he has been Digong's most trusted friend.

"Sana makapag-usap kayo para maayos kung ano man yang gusot." Not wanting her to have a hint that he knows what's up. "Hindi na rin naman kailangan, sec," claimed Leni, "kaya naman naming magtrabaho ng kanya kanya." She followed.

That's when Delfin knew she really have a bad gut for Digong already. "Parang hindi rin naman niya ako gustong nakakasama sa trabaho e." She remarked implying all the insults she received from him in public.

Delfin has been a witness of how Leni and Digong's love grew despite their extremely complicated situation. He saw how the two struggled to keep on holding on in the midst of the status quo and protocols that keeps them apart. He wanted to spill the truth and tell Leni how Digong just want to protect her so that she would understand why he chose to sacrifice their blooming hearts.

"Bakit hindi mo nalang sabihin kay Leni? Ipaintindi mo yung risk." Delfin advised but Digong just shook his head. "Matigas ang ulo niyan si Leni. She won't allow me to go on a fight without her," he explained, "kung papasok ako sa gyera, sigurado sasama yan siya kahit walang alam. Sasama yan." He was certain of it, he knows how she makes decisions and how she thinks. She's selfless when it comes to him, she's emotional and always worried.

"Paanong balak mo? Paano mo siya papalayuin?" Puzzled Delfin. "I have to hurt her." Digong replied.

"Wag naman pisikal, bai–"
"No. No. Hindi ko man siya masaktan. Kaya nga nag-ganito para protektahan bakit ko sasaktan ng pisikal?" He interjects.

He exhaled heavily, "kailangan siya ang umayaw. I have to hurt her. Kailangan she will hate me para siya ang lalayo." He plotted a plan.

Delfin found the idea of manipulating emotions as an extreme challenge for Digong. He had to make the woman he loves hate him.

"Parang ang hirap naman niyan," he chuckled. "Kaysa mapahamak siya, okay man yan. I will just work around to keep her safe. Kaya nga ikaw ang pinagkatiwalaan ko sa defense. Tutulungan mo ako." He urged.

Delfin was affirmative of his decision. It was a wise move for him to set his emotions aside. Going against the oligarchs, the communists, the NPA, the terrorists and the drug lords at the same time are more than extremely dangerous and if he was to keep Leni and their blooming relationship, his enemies might just use her and make her their easiest path to hurt and put him down. It would definitely put Leni at huge risk and he understands why Digong didn't want it to happen specially that he started receiving death threats since he announced a war against the drug lords and he earned more when he dropped the corruption of the water concessionaires and businessmen.

The drug lords and oligarchs are both horrifying enemies and going against them at the same time just makes everything worse. They are the ones who wouldn't think twice of killing everyone who crosses their path and one thing that Digong was sure of is that nothing can stop him from going after them.

Everything just flashed at the back of Delfin's head as he looked at Leni. If only he could tell her the truth but Digong trusted him and he took an oath in protecting the state. He can't let emotions reel in.

Rodrigo and Leni stopped speaking and interacting with each other since that confrontation they had in Malacañang. Leni had nothing left for Digong that anger, disappointment and disgust. He used to be a gentleman, a humorous and funny man to her but now he's just an insensitive boy who just wants to fúck around and make use of his power and position to fool women.

They seemed like strangers now and their closest friends couldn't help but notice the changes between them. They used to be very happy and all glowing but now they're just two strangers who avoids each other and act like they were never special to each other at all. Leni became competitive as well despite that Digong ignores him. She would always criticize him, make new advocacies in line with his like she wants to prove something.

Their cold and toxic relationship went on for months. Digong continued to utter random insults toward her in public as planned and there were times she would refute and answer him back. Their supporters began to loathe the other, they were seen as public enemies.