Chapter thirteen

*bang*
What was that?!?!

I ran upstairs and checked my room.
Nothing. I ran to Zac's room and knocked loudly on the door.
"Zac are you okay?" I asked,slightly panicked.
He opened the door and looked like he'd just woken up.
"Yeah,why wouldn't I be?" He questioned.
"I heard a bang!" I almost screeched.
"I didn't hear anything" he yawned.
"Really? I was asleep on the couch and I woke up to a bang"
He looked very confused.
"Maybe you dreamt it?"
He suggested.
"Yeah maybe."

He pulled me into a hug.
"I thought something happened to you." I laughed,nervously.
"Well I'm fine,I'm all in one piece as you can see" he chuckled.
Maybe I did dream it but I could've sworn I heard a bang.

"Well now that you're up,you might as well eat,there's sandwiches in the fridge for you."
I led him downstairs and made sure he actually ate them. He's doing a lot better with his eating compared to when I first met him.

"Do you wanna go for a walk?-"
"No!"
He answered quickly.
That's weird.
"Wow okay!"
I guess his answer was very clear.
"Why not?" I asked,suspiciously.
"Um...I just don't feel like it"

He's acting strange.
"So what do you wanna do then?" I asked.
"Well it's already 8:30 and I just wanna go to bed."
Wow that's early.
"Um okay,goodnight then."

(Two days later)

Zac has been acting really strange lately. He hardly speaks to me and when he does,it's short replies.

I just finished seeing the last patient of the day and now I'm on my way home.
I was just pulling out of the hospital gate when I got a call. I pulled over and answered the phone.

"Hey it's Jason."
Ugh not now!
"Oh hi,is there a reason you're calling me?" I asked,trying to sound as nice as possible but I'm in a rush! I don't like leaving Zac by himself. Especially after what happened with his dad.

"Well I was just wondering if we could go on a second date? I don't see you very often anymore."
Um no!

"I'm sorry,I've been really busy lately,I'll have to think about it,bye"
I didn't give him time to answer and I just put the phone down.

I carried on driving and turned on the radio.
'Wherever you will go' by the calling came on. I LOVE this song!
I turned it up a bit and forgot all my troubles.

When I got back,the house was very quiet.
"I'm home" I called out. No answer. He's probably in his room again. He's been spending a lot of time in there lately.

I went upstairs to ask him what he wants to eat when I heard him speaking.
'He's probably just talking to Alex' I thought,as I brushed it off. But as I got closer,I heard a second voice.

I put my ear to the door and my jaw dropped when I recognised the voice. It's his father.
"You did as I said right?" I heard the monster ask.
"Yes I did" came Zac's reply.

Oh my gosh Zac is working with his dad!
No! I must be hearing wrong.
I broke down in tears at the thought. I quickly put my hand over my mouth so they couldn't hear me.
I waited until I heard his dad leave out the window and I barged right in.
"Was your dad in here just now? And don't lie to me,I heard you!" I yelled at him.
He didn't answer me and I took his silence as an answer.
"You're working with your dad aren't you?"
Again,he just stayed silent.
"After all I've done for you! All I've done is try to help you and this is what I get in return!" I screamed.
"YOU'RE SO PATHETIC! YOU CRAZY FREAK,I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU!" Oh my gosh I can't believe this is coming out of my mouth! I've never spoken to anyone like that before. I've always had a problem where I say anything hurtful when I'm angry but I've never been this bad.

"I'm not crazy" he whispered.

"NOT CRAZY? YOU TALK TO IMAGINARY PEOPLE! ALEX ISN'T REAL!" There. I've said it. I didn't think I ever would but I did.
I could tell from his face that what I'd said hurt him but I didn't care at that point.
The hurt soon left and he gave me a look of such hatred,it actually scared me.
"Who are you to tell me that? Who are you to tell me I'm crazy? So what if I'm working with my dad!" He spoke in a dangerous voice.

"Get out" I ordered.
"Gladly"
And with that,he was gone.

I locked all the windows and doors in case either Efron comes back and I went to bed. I didn't sleep though. I couldn't. I just cried.
I was actually starting to develop feelings for Zac. I don't remember crying this much over my ex when we broke up. I've never felt so empty. So....heartbroken?
I found myself wondering about him. Will he be okay out there? Where would he sleep? Would he go back to starving himself? The thought of him going back to how I found him only made me cry harder. But then I remembered what he did. And the feeling of betrayal would overtake my emotions. Along with anger towards him and his father.

Just then my phone rang. It's the local Hospital?
I answered the phone and cleared my throat so I don't sound like I've just cried the Amazon river.
"Hello,is this Dr Aubrey summers?"
The woman on the other line asked.
"Yes,is something wrong?"

"I'm calling to inform you of a suicide attempt from one of your patients. Is it possible if you could come down here?"

"Of coarse" I answered,getting dressed as quick as possible. "What is the name of the patient?" I asked.

"Zac Efron"