Chapter five

The whole drive home I could barely concentrate. I stopped at a red light and took deep breaths. I felt like crying. I couldn't believe what I saw. When I looked at the CCTV,Mr Daniels appeared to have been sleeping in his room. Which means he is not the hand. Meaning it's all still a mystery. It was all too much for my mind to take.
I heard a few cars honk their horns at me and realised the light was green. I drove on and at least tried to get home without killing myself in the process.

Just as I was turning into my road,I saw the same boy from the park,sitting on the curb at the corner of the street. He looked deep in thought and slightly cold. Very cold in fact,he was shivering. I drove to my house,parked the car and ran inside quickly to grab a blanket. I grabbed the thickest one I could find and ran up the road to where the boy was still sitting. I put the blanket around his shoulders and sat down next to him. He looked over at me giving me a very confused look. I just gave him a warm smile in return.
"You know you could freeze out here." I spoke softly. He just looked at me then looked down.
"Where do you live? I'll take you there." I tried again. He still didn't answer,he didn't even look at me.
"What's your name?" I asked still keeping calm so I don't upset him in any way. I still got no answer.
"Can you speak?" He just looked at me again before looking down again.
I didn't want to leave him because what if he really has no where to go to and it's freezing outside,he could get ill. We just sat in silence for what felt like forever until I heard him say barely above a whisper "Zac."
"Sorry?" I was very confused.
"You asked my name,I'm Zac."
"Well Zac,do you have somewhere to go to?" I asked.
He didn't answer and kept looking down like before.
"Zac?"
He just lightly shook his head.
"Come with me."
I lightly pulled on his arm to get him to stand up. He looked up at me before slowly rising to his feet. He pulled the blanket tighter around himself. I can't leave him out here.
I took him back to my house and went to turn up the heating. I took him into the living room and made sure he was comfortable.

"Would you like something to eat?"
"No thank you"
Came the reply.
"Can I at least get you some tea to warm you up?" I asked.
He just shook his head. He looks like he hasn't eaten in days. Despite his polite refusal,I'm still gonna give him some food,I can at least try and get him to eat.
I made him some soup,it's not much but maybe he'll at least eat that. When it was ready,I put some in a bowl and brought it in for him.

"Please at least eat this,it'll help to warm you up." I pretty much begged. I put it on the coffee table in front of him. He mumbled a thank you but I have a feeling he isn't even going to touch it.

"I'm just going to take a shower and then I'll make your bed in the guest room." I smiled kindly. He nodded and I walked out the room.

In the shower,I couldn't help thinking about Zac. Why is he the way he is? What happened to him. There's something big going on with him. I can tell from his actions and even just looking at his face. He looks so troubled.
I finished rinsing off the soap and shampoo and climbed out the shower. I wrapped the towel around my body and went to my room to get my pyjamas on. I went with a warm onesie because it's absolutely freezing outside. After brushing my hair and leaving it to dry naturally,I went to the guest bedroom and started making up the bed for Zac.

When I finished,I went back downstairs to the sitting room. As I thought,Zac was still in the same position as when I left for my shower,with his soup untouched.
"Zac,when was the last time you ate?"
He looked to be thinking before he shrugged.
"Please eat,you can't starve yourself,you'll get ill."
No response.
I walked over to him and picked up the spoon,the soup was still warm so I dipped the spoon into the bowl and brought it up to his lips.
He sighed before taking the spoon out of my hand and putting it in his mouth. I smiled,knowing I'd achieved something. I took the spoon from him and dipped it back in the bowl and handed it to him,he then put it in his mouth.
I repeated this until eventually he did it himself and he nearly finished the bowl. At least I know he's got a bit of food in his system,even if it isn't much.
I took him to the guest bedroom and then went into my own room. I Lay in bed thinking about all that happened today. Just the thought of it alone was tiring. My eyes started to feel heavy and I could feel myself drifting off to sleep.

——————
I woke up and stretched for a bit before checking the time.
6:40
Wow I didn't wake up last night! I feel so good. I didn't see the hand,maybe that means I'm cured! I'm not crazy anymore! I giggled to myself,something I do when I get really happy.
I then remembered about Zac. I went into the guest bedroom to wake him and ask him what he wants for breakfast.
I knocked on the door.
"Zac? Wake up,I gotta go soon,what do you want for breakfast?"
I didn't get an answer. I pushed the door open and went over to the bed. I lifted the bed sheets and gasped.
He was gone.