Chapter eleven

Dad? His dad? As in-Joseph Efron? As in-the guy who used to abuse Zac and his mum and escaped from prison AND paid a guy to kill his ex wife???
"No hug? No 'I missed you dad'? Come on son,it's been a while"
Mr Efron smirked.
I've only just met him and already,I feel sick.
Zac looked as pale as a ghost.
"W-What are-e you doing h-here?"
He stuttered.
"I'm here to see you kid!" He exclaimed.
There was silence for a few seconds until it was broken by a horrible laughter from Mr Efron.
"No,I came to make a deal with you both"
What is this,a horror film?
"Here's the deal, I know you were planning on telling the police I was in on your mother's murder. You keep quite and I won't kill you. How does that sound?" He smirked.
He's going to kill us! I've never felt so scared. I thought Oliver Daniels and the hand were absolutely terrifying but they seem like nothing compared to this.

"Deal?"
Neither of us dared to speak. Nor move.
"ANSWER ME!" He yelled as I jumped. Zac just lowered his head.

"Well then,I guess not." He smirked evilly as he took a knife out of his pocket. I froze in fear. He ran towards Zac,holding the knife out.
I grabbed Zac's arm,pulling him away as I kicked Mr Efron in the knee,knocking him over.

This made him furious. He got up and aimed the knife at me. Zac grabbed my hand and ran out of the kitchen.
We ran upstairs and headed to my room.
I heard footsteps,running behind us.

I then did the most idiotic thing I've ever done.
I looked behind me. He was catching up.
I looked back around and couldn't see Zac anywhere.
"Zac?" I called out.
I then felt a hand grab onto my hair and pull me back.
I fought to get free but he was too strong.
I screamed but he put his hand over my mouth.
He pulled me into my small storage room and tied my hands together tightly.
"Scream and I'll kill you right here"
He whispered harshly.
I bit my lip to stop myself from crying in front of this monster.

"When you get found,if you say anything about me being involved in my ex's death,or about me breaking in here,I'll come back and kill you in the most painful way possible. So is it a deal?"
I wanted to spit in his face but the knife in his hand made me think twice.
I don't care if he kills me. If I don't tell the police,he could hurt innocent people on the streets.

"No" I whispered angrily.
"Well then let's change things around a bit. If you open your mouth about me,I'll come back and kill Zac."
My eyes widened.
"You would kill you own son? You disgust me!" I spat.
"Yeah and I don't care! Is it a deal?"
I nodded my head and looked down. He put a gag over my mouth and left.
It was dark in the storage room.
I hope Zac got away okay.
I can't believe anyone would be willing to kill their own son.

Zac doesn't deserve a monster like Mr Efron as a father. No one does.

——————
I have no idea how long I've been in here but it feels like hours.
I fell asleep for a bit and spent the rest of the time counting down from a million and convincing myself that Zac's fine.
I feel like I'm loosing my mind in here.

I was about to count down again when I heard the door handle jiggle. It was always stiff.

Suddenly,the door swung open and Zac ran over to me. He took the gag out of my mouth and untied my hands.
I was so happy to see him,I threw my arms around him and embraced him in a tight hug.
He hugged me back just as tight and we just stayed like that for a while.
We finally pulled away and he helped me to my feet.
We made our way out of the storage room and I squinted at the light.
It was only when my eyes adjusted to the bright light that I noticed a deep cut on Zac's upper arm.

"He caught you didn't he?" I asked,trying hard not to cry.
He nodded sadly.
I took him to the bathroom and got out a first aid kit. I took a close look at his arm and cleaned off the blood. The cut is quite deep and it's going to need stitches.
I can't take him to the hospital because they'd question how it happened.
"It's going to need stitches."
He nodded and looked at the cut.
I can stitch it myself. My parents are both doctors so I've seen them do this more times than I can count.

"Do you trust me?" I asked.
"Of course" he answered softly.
"Good because I'm not going to lie,this is going to hurt.
I got to work and carefully stitched his arm,trying to make it as painless as possible. However I could still tell from his expression that it was very painful.
I cleaned his arm again and washed my hands before putting everything away.

I then took his hand and led him downstairs to get him some painkillers to help ease the pain a bit.
"Are you okay?" I asked.
He nodded and slipped them into his mouth before swallowing them with a glass of water.

———————
We sat down on the couch and watched a comedy to help us take our minds off of what happened.

"I'm sorry" Zac suddenly spoke.
"For what?" I asked,genuinely confused.
"For pulling you into my messed up life."