Chapter twenty eight

*BEEP BEEP BEEP*
Ughhh!

I rolled over to turn off the alarm on my phone only to be pulled back by an arm.

"Let go! I gotta turn that alarm off before it gives me a headache!" I groaned. The arm let go of me and I successfully turned the alarm off. What an accomplishment.

The arm then came back around me. I looked down at the hand for a while, deep in thought. This hand used to be something I feared and dreaded waking up to. Now it's something I look forward to seeing every morning-NOT because of the hand! That's just weird! Because of the person it's attached to. I'm not weird.

It's been two months and Zac and I are together. The only thing that could make me happier at this moment is if his father was finally caught.

He seems to have gone into hiding and even after two months of searching, he hasn't been found. It's very possible he's moved country which just makes things more difficult to be able to catch him. He could be in some other country under a completely different identity living a normal life, waiting to strike again. The thought terrifies me but I would never tell Zac, I need to be the strong one for both of us right now.

Zac has been doing a lot better lately, he stopped seeing Alex completely and only has very minor hallucinations like small spiders and bits of dirt. He opens up a lot more easily now too, we don't have to be having a long deep, emotional conversation for him to open up to me, he'll tell me things out of the blue and I'm so proud of him.

I come out of my long chain of thoughts when I glance at the small clock on the other side of my room. Gosh it's late! "Come on, let go of me, we need to get up now!" I say lightly tapping Zac's arm that's wrapped around me. He opens his eyes to roll them at me while mumbling something about how he hates mornings but he lets go of me. I chuckle at how grumpy he is this morning and run off to get ready for the day.

———————
I arrive at work one minute late but no one seems to notice so no one needs to know.

I did all my usual rounds, checking in on my patients, making sure they've taken the necessary medication and comparing notes from last time to how they are now to see if they're making any progress.

I gained a few new patients who still aren't fully comfortable with me yet but they just need time to get used to me. One of them wouldn't speak a word to me until I realised he was deaf and couldn't actually hear me. It's strange how that wasn't in his notes...guess I'll have to look into it. I make a note of it and move on after a warm smile and a wave which he reciprocates.

I was just on my way to my next patient when I was stopped by my boss. "Come with me to my office."

A/N: it's short and not proofread but I just really wanted to get something out there😅 I'm so sorry it took this long🥺