#16-Rule Changes

I've worked for a year at a local restaurant. Love the people I work with and all. If I get bored, I write my novel at the host stand and managers and coworkers constantly ask me how the book is going. I also have been able to get discounts on certain meals, whether to eat in or to-go. It's so nice to only need to pay $6 instead of $10. I also have been taking sliced lemons from the kitchen and eating them like it's nothing the entire year I've been there, and the managers all think it's funny because no one really eats lemons like I do. A couple of them gave me lemons wrapped in ribbons for my birthday.

But recently, they have changed up some things. Not only have they said in manage meetings that you can't bring anything to do at the host stand to prevent "distractions" (which we still do-I still just use the backs of the full wait sheets and brainstorm away!). The Big Guns have now made the rule that you do not get discounts or free meals UNLESS you eat there, and I have to pay full price now for to-go. First of all, it's irritating enough to still be in work clothes that become scratchy and irritating to wear as soon as I'm off the clock. As soon as I'm home, I yank them off and hurry to get in my pajamas. So torturing myself by keeping the uniform on after work just so I can get a dang discount or free meal is ludicrous.

Then, as if they couldn't get any more annoying, they stopped me as I was walking out with a to-go cup full of lemons, that I NEVER HAD TO PAY FOR BEFORE, and said to-go cups aren't even free anymore, and that even taking lemons now are a "waste of produce" and that you can't take them without paying for them anymore.

So, having the little streak I do, I have decided to protest. For a month now, I've been refusing to get any food from my own restaurant, including bread, salad, or soup (we used to be able to grab that stuff as well but they made us start paying so I just stopped getting it). I won't even take drinks to-go, since the styrofoam cups are illegal to use even if you're taking it to-go, which we've been doing for a year and no one has said anything. We can apparently still use lemons in drinks that AREN'T in to-go cups because the servers do it all the time and there's a camera there. But that's the only time I drink from there-when I am taking a little 5-minute break and need a drink.

But I haven't bought a single thing from there for about a month now, and I wonder if anyone has started to notice I go to Panera instead every single time I go on break. I sometimes walk over there, bring food to-go, and then come back and eat it where I work. Ha. Next they'll be outlawing that, too.