><> Chapter Forty-Four <><

It had rained and rained and rained the past week. I couldn't believe it. Every day, when I had opened my eyes, the first thing I had done was rip open the curtains to check the weather and every time my heart had sunk.

At the end of another grim day, I tucked myself up in bed early. I lay on my back staring at the ceiling thinking about Llyr. I wondered what he was doing right now. Maybe he was with some other mers, having a get-together. Maybe they had a bar, or something, where they all met up. I hoped that there were no - in the words of Nephys - 'scrumptious maids' at this bar.

My phone bleeped. It was Jess inviting me to a festival this weekend with some of my old London friends. They're leaving on Friday, which was ... gosh, tomorrow. 

Hmmm. I felt like I should actually be excited about this, like any regular seventeen year old would be. Yet, as usual all I could think about was Llyr. What if it's beautiful and sunny and I'm not here when he comes for me?

My mind quickly became conflicted. Have I become too available for this man? He could be having a wonderful time down there, frolicking about with those maids, whilst I'm sitting around pining. Maybe I should be off having my own fun.

But the thought was unappealing. I wanted only to be with him.

I googled the weekend weather forecast. Three big yellow sunshine symbols immediately popped up. Friday, Saturday, Sunday were going to be glorious!

I texted Jess back, saying I wouldn't be able to get out of work. This was true anyway, I reassured myself. I was working Sunday evening. 

I snuggled under my covers and closed my eyes. I hoped the weather forecast was right because if it was, then tomorrow he would be here again.

***

I sat on the end of my jetty and stretched my legs out happily in front of me. All I could see was endless blue skies across the seas.

Hurray!

It was around midday, and he would be here soon. Although it was hot, that intensity of the heat from the earlier summer months was gone. I could definitely feel that this part of the world was cooling.

 I touched the wood next to me and had a flashback of our midnight moment on the jetty a couple of weeks ago. I remembered his strong arms gently and effortlessly lifting me, and his lips travelling all over my body. Even in the heat, I felt goosebumps just thinking about it.

Suddenly I heard something calling my name. I leaned forwards and listened, now alert. It had come from across the waters but it didn't sound like a human voice, it was more of a tinkling clanging noise. 

"Crystal."

There it was again. It reminded me of a wind chime but I could hear my name in there somewhere. What on Earth?

Suddenly I saw a familiar face in the waters ahead. Nephys.

Of course, she was singing.

She disappeared and then reappeared, now just a couple of feet away from me.

"See, I took care not to scare you," she said. "Especially whilst sitting there daydreaming like that, I'd have given you a heart attack."

"Thank you," I laughed. "Although, I'm getting used to surprises now."

"Hmm, I don't think you're quite broken in just yet," she said, bobbing in the little waves that lapped at the jetty.

Suddenly something caught my eye and I squinted closer at her chest. There were two orange shiny things clamped to her boobs.

"Are those..?" I began.

"Starfish!" she finished excitedly, arching her back and lifting herself further out of the water so that I could get a better look.

I leaned in and could see that they were indeed Starfish and that had their little plump triangular legs squeezed around each boob in a firm grip. 

"Ouch!" I winced. And Eugh!

"Oh, they don't hurt, they're actually really supportive," she said.

Hmmm. I was not convinced.

She plucked one off and handed it to me.

"Try it!" she urged.

I backed away. "No no. It's fine," I said, holding up my hand.

"Seriously, they're marvellous."

"I'm good, thanks," I said, laughing.

"Oh whatever," she said placing the animal back on her chest. I grimaced as it quickly regained it's clasp.

"So..." I said, changing the subject. "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"Oh, to Llyr," said Nephys. "He can't come today."

I felt my heart drop to the bottom of my stomach like a rock. Couldn't come?

Nephys had become preoccupied with my wedge heels that were placed next to me on the jetty.

"Oooh, these are nice!" she said, picking them up and examining them.

"Nephys?" I prompted. 

"He's busy Angel. He'll come later. He said sun-down," she said, swimming backwards with a shoe.

I relaxed, satisfied with the memo and my attention turned to Nephys and my shoe. What was she doing with it?

"I always wanted a pair of shoes Crystal!" she said, flapping her foot out of the water, trying to put my shoe on it.

"Nephys, you're a mermaid, what are you going to do with a pair of... oh come here!" I said, as she fumbled about with the wedge. I didn't want her to drop it in the sea.

She reclined backwards in the water with her leg on my lap, as I fastened the shoe onto her foot. They were pretty red wedged with bows on the front. In fact, they very much suited her personality.

When I had finished, she swam around on her back with her leg stretched up in the air, admiring herself in my shoe.

"Very lovely Nephys!" I laughed watching her. 

She giggled with delight and her eyes sparkled. It was really quite adorable.

"You can have them," I said. I didn't suppose they would last long under water, but she could probably enjoy them for a day or two, show them off to her friends.

"Have them?" Nephys screamed.

"Yes," I said. "Keep them, take them home."

Within a flash, she had thrown her arms around me and I was absolutely drenched

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" she was squealing into my ear.

"It's okay..." I laughed. "I can see they make you very happy."

"Oh, yes they do! But you know that it's not just me you make so very happy Crystal!" she said withdrawing from our embrace and looking at me with misty eyes. "I just wish you were one of us."