Hannes followed my gaze, and his fingers around my thin shoulders tightened. Breathing suddenly became difficult and my vision blurred with tears of sadness and bitter anger as I hoarsely spoke, voice barely audible over the sound of crackling flames,

“Please let me go.”

Hannes hold only strengthened, bringing me closer to him, as if to offer comfort, but he halted at the sight of tears breaking free, streaming down my cheeks. He released me finally, watched as I slowly lowered my body to the bed, cursing inwardly at my tears, wiping them away hurriedly, but shedding more as memories flooded my mind. 

“I will have dinner brought up to you.” Hannes said, but I didn’t bother to acknowledge his words; he left then, sensible enough to know that I did not want to be near him, but seemingly unaware of why. 

***********

I told Yanneek of the symbol the next day and he listened with a solemn expression, eyes flickering behind me every now and then, as if expecting some lycan to appear. He gestured that I join him on his patio and I did, taking the short walk to the house which he was temporarily living in and we both sat on the very cold, wooden bench. 

“I have no doubt in my mind that Hannes has killed humans before,” Yanneek told me, hand moving to scratch his beard, eyes following the slow drop of snow. “But I am unsure of what his motives were for doing so."

Lycans entered our line of sight, trodding through snow and entering the surrounding trees, none of them giving us a second glance. 

“Wouldn’t his motive for killing others be the same as other lycans?” I asked, making myself as comfortable as I could on the bench, Yanneek following suit as well. He scowled at that, meeting my eyes.

“Perhaps.” He had a tone of uncertainty and my eyes narrowed in curiosity as he continued to speak, rubbing ungloved hands together. “But what you must understand, Olivia, is that some lycans had strongly disagreed with the actions of some of their kind, and it was quite often that humans attacked lycans who had only wished for peace, and had no choice but to retaliate when their patience broke.”

I gritted my teeth. I had heard of this. Some humans had, at times, attacked and murdered lycans simply because they were lycans, with the idea in mind that they intended to take over their town eventually. Some of the packs however, had no intention of doing so, and would lash out in response, effectively killing humans who refused to believe them and resorted to violence.

However, the numbers of these events were low compared to the horrific situations of lycans destroying homes and seizing control of towns after killing so many humans.

I knew Yanneek was alluding to the fact that Hannes could have been one of the lycans who wanted peace, but the symbols which he wore was one that I had seen lycans also with, and they had, in my mind, recklessly and viciously killed humans; it had seemed that they had been like most of the other lycans, cruel and filled with greed. 

“Do you think Hannes was one of the lycans who wanted peace?”

Yanneek shook his head, lips pressing tightly together, eyes flickering ahead as we both turned to observe the few lycans around, barely clothed. 

I was confused as to why he wasn't answering, but then I realized; the lycans were listening to our conversation. They tried to do so inconspicuously, but a handful were standing just a few feet away from the patio, saying nothing, backs facing us, but both Yanneek and I knew they were. 

So we said nothing and sat in silence, listening to the wind and watching the snow. 

Yanneek gave no response to my question, even after the lycans left. 

********

Hope you all enjoyed. 💕💕
The next chapter is available on Inkitt.

Here are the steps to read it on Inkitt if you don't know:

Go to my profile and click the link in my 'about' section.

It should send you to the app store where you can download the Inkitt app. (It's ads free!)

When you're finished, revisit and press the link in my profile on Wattpad and it shall send you to my profile on Inkitt, where you'll be able to see the newest update of Lycans Of The Woods. 

Please follow my profile and add my book to your reading lists. (:

However, if you don't want to download the app, you could also do this:

Simply search www.inkitt.com in your address bar on the web browser of your phone or laptop, or search it on Google search.

On Inkitt's bar search, type the name Lycans Of The Woods by Faith Hunte and you shall be able to read all of the chapters!!