My lips pulled into a tight frown. It was surprising that they managed to travel here without any harm coming to them. “And will you be leaving with them?”

“Not without you.” 

At my blank stare, Helda explained, “I know you are not comfortable in this pack, so I have asked my family to allow you to come with them. But I must tell you,” Her voice dropped and the bed creaked as she leaned forward, closer to me.

“My family lives in a community, where people are trained daily, in case lycans attack and it is expected that you will also be trained as well if you decide to stay there. Most of the people there make several trips around towns, helping humans flee from lycans and guiding them to the community, assisting them in settling down in the area. You will be able to have your own home, food and other necessities you need.” She paused, shrugging a shoulder. “Of course, there is always the possibility that lycans could attack the community, but that has not happened since the lycans have made themselves known.”

Something warm swarmed in my belly as I listened to Helda’s hushed words and I could not deny my interest. But I knew there would also be difficulties which could arise if I choose to leave this pack; a particular lycan would not be very happy, but I was tired of fearing whether a lycan would be pleased or not by my actions; I needed to put myself first for once. 

“My uncle,” Helda’s voice broke me out of my thoughts and I focused on her. “Has also alluded that the Alpha is not as kind as I believe him to be. He could not go into further detail, because it was then that the beta made himself known.” She shook her head at that, ran a hand down her face. “I am confused, though. The Alpha has brought us into this pack and promised no harm shall come to us. He made sure we all had medical treatment, gave us-”

A knock came from the door and Helda’s mouth snapped shut, eyes widening. I swallowed; I had not heard anyone’s approach, but chastised myself anyway, knowing that lycans had the ability to walk soundlessly if needed.

The door opened and I watched as Helda scrambled to her feet at the sight of Hannes. My heart raced in my chest but I kept my eyes steadily on his, until his own moved to Helda.

“Your family is in the brick home opposite yours. They have asked for you.” He gruffly spoke, striding further into the room, hands tugging on the collar of his shirt. Helda locked eyes with my own before she told me goodbye, softly closing the door behind her when she left. 

Silence fell over the room and I kept my attention towards the night sky, fingers continuing their gentle strum over my bandages as Hannes went about doing whatever he was doing in the room. The ankle was healing well, and I suspected that I could walk on it properly in at least a week’s time. 

“Have you eaten dinner?” Hannes inquired, stepping away from the fireplace, facing me. My eyes skipped up and down his body, noticing that he wore the strange light blue uniform I had seen him in whilst in prison, and I opened my mouth to respond, albeit reluctantly at that, but then I caught sight of the silver symbol on the upper sleeve of his uniform. 

For several long seconds, all I could do was stare at the symbol, one which was burned into my mind. It glistened under the light emitting from the flames, and I felt a shudder of repulsion trickle down my spine as I examined the clear, strange yet so very familiar symbol of fangs, in the middle of a triangle. 

"Olivia?" Hannes voice had raisen in concern and I broke out of his reach when his hand began to lift towards my shoulder. 

“I’ve lost my appetite.” 

His eyebrows furrowed, but he pressed on. “Why?” He grabbed at my shoulders when I said nothing, pulling me to my feet, searching my face with desperation. My body immediately racked with trembles, eyes becoming fixated on the symbol once more, a symbol which I had seen many lycans, who had killed humans, had stitched onto their clothing.