Chapter 30 - A Dark Reflection

"Max, I think you're ready for your first mission

"Max, I think you're ready for your first mission. What do you think?" Alec asked, leaning against his desk. Max glanced over at Olivia who smiled and nodded.

"I've been ready since the day I got here," Max smirked.

Alec returned his smile. "Then you better get your butt over to training. You know how much our sister hates tardiness."

Olivia gave him a wink as he turned away and walked out of the office.

"Where did my little baby go?" Olivia faked pouted as she watch Max continue down the hall.

"I'm sure once Izzy's done with him he'll need some coddling," Alec teased.

"Nah," Olivia shook her head, turning back into the room and walking over to Alec. She placed herself in between his legs, her arms wrapping around his neck. "He's strong like his big brother."

Alec smiled, leaning down to press their lips together. Olivia happily obliged, opening her mouth to Alec. She moaned when Alec's tongue carressed along her own. The clearing of a throat broke them apart.

"I see you two made up," Jace smirked, as he and Clary entered the office.

Olivia blushed, wiping her mouth and she moved to stand beside Alec.

"Any sign of Johnathon?" Alec asked.

"No, we tried to track the box itself but it was a dead end." Jace held up the box that had contained Clary's baby brother's belongings.

"So Valentine sent Duncan to steal a pair of baby booties?" Olivia questioned incredulously.

"Someone wanted to circumvent us from tracking Johnathon," Jace explained.

"Now we have no leads on either of them," Clary added. "We have nothing."

"Actually, we have less than nothing," Alec interrupted. The three other Shadowhunters gave him a questioning look. "There's something you should know," Alec said slowly. He looked between the group, seeming to debate whether or not to tell them. His eyes landed on Olivia and he said, "The Clave doesn't have the Soul Sword. They never did."

Olivia's mouth dropped open at Alec's confession.

"So the Clave has been lying this whole time?" Clary voiced Olivia's thoughts.

"It wouldn't be the first time," Olivia replied, rolling her eyes at the thought of the Clave.

"The Clave is trying to prevent an uprising." Alec gave her a hard look. "The Downworld finds out we don't have to Soul Sword it would be total chaos."

"But the Sword has been deactivated. It can't be used on Downworlders," Clary implored.

"Not in the way Valentine used it before. But it's still a Mortal Instrument," Alec explained.