Chapter 24 - Mea Maxima Culpa

The sounds of swords clashing filled Olivia's dreams

The sounds of swords clashing filled Olivia's dreams. The images of Jace and Alec came into focus, their weapons clashing together. They stepped back from each other, circling the other.

"You're hurting," Alec said, panting.

"You didn't even touch me," Jace chuckled. 

"I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about the Downworlders," Olivia saw Jace drop his head, his blond hair falling in his face. "Jace, you didn't know. It wasn't your fault."

"I never said it was," Jace said, his tone apologetic. He quickly changed his stance, his cocky attitude returning. "Come on, you got another round in you or are you starting to get tired?" Jace smirked, motioning for Alec to rejoin him. 

Alec quickly took up his defensive stance and they began to fight again. They managed to knock each others weapons away but continued fighting hand to hand. Jace pinned Alec to the ground, Alec tapping out when Jace locked his arm behind his back.

"Have you heard from Olivia?" Jace asked, wiping sweat from his forehead. 

Alec took a drink of water before answering, "No, and I doubt she's gonna call me."

"What happened?" Jace asked suspiciously.

"Do you know what she's been doing when she hasn't been at the Institute?"

Jace shook his head, "I've been a little preoccupied."

Alec paused, not sure how to approach the subject. "She's been with Raphael. They've been... bloodsharing."

"What?!" Jace shouted.

"I caught them right before the Institute attack. I tried to bring her back here but she wouldn't come. She said he made her stronger." Olivia noted that he had left out the part where she said she needed him. 

"I'm going to kill him," Jace growled, grabbing his sword off the ground.

Olivia jolted awake. The curtains were drawn so Olivia couldn't tell what time it was but based off her dream she guessed it was sometime in the afternoon. She quickly got out of bed, being careful not to wake Raphael who was sleeping beside her. She pulled her clothes from last night on and rushed out the door, hopping on one foot as she pulled her boots on. 

She opened the door to exit the Hotel DuMort when she ran smack into a hard body. Two hands wrapped around her body, steadying her. She looked up and was face to face with a very pissed off Jace. 

"What are you doing here?" Olivia asked as she tried to wiggle out of his grasp.

"I should ask you the same thing," Jace growled as he pulled her out the front door and began dragging her down the sidewalk.