Chapter 39 - Window In An Empty Room

Alec, Isabelle and Olivia were in the training room getting their morning workout in

Alec, Isabelle and Olivia were in the training room getting their morning workout in. A familiar voice drifted to them from the hallway.

"I'm just here to see my children."

"Is that Mom?" Alec asked, setting his bow down. The group entered the hallway, making their way to the front door. Standing inside of the entrance was Maryse, accompanied by a Shadowhunter. The guard at the door was refusing them entrance.

"Show some respect," the Shadowhunter growled.

"This woman's been excommunicated by the Clave. She's not allowed to enter," the guard replied, not moving.

"This woman is Alec Lightwood's mother. Allowances can be made," the Shadowhunter pressed.

"It's fine," Maryse said, turning back to the door.

"Hey!" Alec interrupted, running to the entrance. "As long as I'm in charge, Maryse Lightwood is allowed in the New York Institute. Understood?"

The guard nodded, stepping aside. Maryse walked up to the group, giving each of her children a hug.

"Come on. We can talk in the courtyard," Alec said, leading them down the hall.

"I'm sorry. I should have called ahead," Maryse apologized.

"No, it's not problem," Isabelle waved her off.

"Mom, did the..." Alec started but was unable to finish the sentence.

"The deruning, did it hurt?" Olivia finished, knowing what Alec wanted to ask.

Maryse took a moment before she answered. "Not at all. The adjustment's actually been easier than I expected." Olivia narrowed her eyes, not fully believing that answer.

"Have you found a place to live yet?" Isabelle questioned.

"You can stay here if you'd like. We can make that happen. I meant what I said. You're always welcome," Alec assured.

"Thank you, but I've actually found a place. All I want right now is to spend some time with my wonderful children. Speaking of which, where's Jace?" Maryse asked.

"He's um..... getting treatment," Olivia explained.

"Tell me everything," Maryse pressed.

**************************************
After explaining Jace's situation Alec and Olivia decided to take a walk together. They were walking through the streets of Chinatown when Olivia recognized a head of blond hair.

"Is that Jace?" she motioned to where Jace was walking quickly down the sidewalk.

"It looks like it," Alec confirmed. "Jace!" Alec called out, jogging up to him and placing a hand on his shoulder. Jace turned around quickly, a look of confusion on his face.