Chapter 1 - The Mortal Cup

It was a dark night, barely a star in the sky. Olivia was shaking as she held a body in her arms. She looked down to see Jace, blood staining his shirt. A sob came from her right and she looked over to see a redhead sitting on the ground, her head in her hands. She heard the sound of water moving and looked up to see a man walking into a lake.

He stopped when the water reached his calves, placed an object in the water, and then stood, his arms out on either side of his body. "Raziel," the man yelled, "hear me! I call upon the Mortal Instruments and summon you into this mortal realm."

The water in the center of the lake shot up and out rose an angel, his pure white wings unfolding, a blinding light emanating from behind him. The angel looked at the man and then at Olivia, his gold eyes boring into her own. He nodded his head at her and Olivia instantly felt numb. She let go of her brother, grabbing the blade that was laid beside him. She looked back up to where the man was conversing with the angel. Olivia began walking towards him, only faintly aware of the girl yelling behind her. When she reached the man, he turned around. His arm went up in an attempt to hit her but Olivia easily blocked it. She swung with her opposite arm, colliding with his face. She kicked him in the shin and he fell to his knees. Olivia took the knife and plunged it through the man's heart, killing him. She pulled the sword out and he fell into the water, his blood mixing with the clear blue water. Olivia looked up at the angel, who smiled at her.

"Shadow Knight," he said lovingly. "You have done well. But the battle is not over. You must not let anything distract you."

"I will not let anything distract me," Olivia replied trancelike, her gold eyes unblinking.

"Liv.... O.... OLIVIA!"

Olivia was pulled from her daydream by her best friend and parabatai Isabelle Lightwood. Isabelle was standing in front of her with a wig in each hand.

"Which one should I wear?" Isabelle inquired, holding both up in the air so that Olivia could get a better look.

Olivia contemplated for a minute and then said, "The blond one. It goes better with your outfit." Isabelle was wearing a white two-piece. The high necked crop top had a large opening in front accentuating her chest perfectly. The fitted high-waisted skirt started right below her belly button and ended midway down her thigh. White stilettos completed her outfit.

Isabelle smiled and turned around to place the other wig back in its holding place. Olivia stepped back in front of the full length mirror to assess her outfit one last time. She was wearing a black spaghetti strap crop top with cut-outs on either side, a red high low skirt with a black waistband, a black leather jacket, and black heeled booties. Her blond hair was curled and she had on a black smoky eye with a nude lip. She finished her look with small rose studs.

"Olivia, Isabelle, let's go." Alec, the older Lightwood, called from the hallway. Olivia turned around to see Isabelle applying her signature red lip in a compact, the blond bob wig already on top of her head. The two exited the room to see Alec standing with his arms crossed, leaning against the opposite wall.