Chapter 2 - The Descent Into Hell Isn't Easy

Alec, Isabelle, and Olivia ran towards the center, slowing down once they reached HQ. Olivia saw Jace standing in front of one of the computers, Clary standing on his right and an unknown man, a mundane by the looks of it, beside her.

"What is going on?" Alec huffed once he saw the group. "Why is there a mundane in the Institute?" He eyed the male, brows furrowed. Olivia walked beside him and placed her arm around his waist. Alec placed his around her shoulders but never took his eyes off of the man.

"A Circle member followed him to get to Clary," Jace said, acknowledging the three Shadowhunters.

"A Circle rune, just like the guys that took my mother," Clary said, the end of the sentence coming out as a whisper. Olivia felt bad for Clary. Jace and she knew what it was like to lose their family and she never wished that feeling upon anyone. She glanced at Jace and saw that wetness was pooling in his eyes. He looked at her and she knew that he was thinking the same thing. He blinked a couple of times, not letting the tears fall over, ever the warrior.

"What exactly is a Circle member and why are they trying to kill us?" the mundane questioned.

"All we know is, a long time ago the Circle led a revolt. A lot of Shadowhunters got killed... including Liv and I's father," Jace said. Olivia felt Alec tighten his hold slightly on her and she leaned her head on his side.

"And since the revolt we've been forbidden to even hear about the Circle," Alec stated.

"But, how's that even possible? It's your history," Clary said shocked.

"Says the girl who didn't know she was a Shadowhunter?" Olivia joked.

"Yeah. Yeah, you're right," Clary sighed. "And now the only person who knows the truth is missing, so I don't care about your rules or what's forbidden. I'm... There's gotta be someone out there who can tell us why they've taken my mother".

"There is. You coming?" Jace held out his hand for her to take.

"Yeah." Clary took his hand smiling. The mundane looked at where Jace and Clary were connected and immediately began to follow them.

"No, no, no. Not you." Jace stopped, once he realized the mundane was following them.

"Hey, we're a package deal," Clary released Jace's hand and moved back toward the mundane.

"Yeah." The mundane puffed out his chest. Olivia chuckled behind them.

Jace glared back at his sister before turning back to Clary, "There are runes all over the training room floor that would kill your mundie boyfriend."

"He's not my-"

"I'm not, like- We're, uh, just friends."

"Best friends," Clary finished.