Chapter 41 - A Heart of Darkness

It had been several hours and Clary still hadn't returned. Jace continued to berate them and with each insult Olivia felt herself twitching. She had to leave the room before she screamed or worse, attacked Jace herself.

"Hey," Alec said, as he entered the room. Olivia looked up from the couch, distraught clear on her face. "You okay?" He sat down beside her, his hand moving to rub her lower back.

"Is this how you all felt when I was the Knight? Helpless?" Olivia looked up at Alec sadly.

"I knew that no matter how deeply you were in, that you were fighting to make your way back to us. I know Jace is too. You both are strong. We'll find a way to get him back."

Olivia gently smiled, leaning up to press her lips to Alec's.

"Come on, time to go poke the beast," Alec teased. Olivia took the hand that Alec offered, allowing him to help her stand. As they entered Magnus' main living area, they heard Jace and Isabelle conversing.

"Well that's not very nice. Trapping your brother in a box," Jace taunted.

"You're not our brother," Olivia growled, as she entered the room.

"Don't get too comfortable cause we're gonna bring him back," Alec challenged.

Jace narrowed his eyes, "You and your undying love for your parabati. Almost as pathetic as your love for her." Jace flicked his eyes to Olivia. "I hate to burst your bubble, but when we were sent to your family in Idris, I was a desperate kid."

"Don't listen to him Lex," Olivia interrupted, rolling her eyes as Jace's theatrics.

"The only reason I became your parabatai was to make sure there was a roof over Olivia and I's head."

Alec tensed and Olivia could see doubt creeping in. She placed her hand on Alec's chest, diverting his attention, "He's just trying to get under your skin."

"Or maybe," Jace growled, moving to stand in front of Olivia. "I just prefer not to coddle your latest soldier boyfriend. How is Raphael?" Jace teased. Olivia fists clenched and she was ready to step through the barrier when the door to the apartment was flung open. Luke and Simon burst in, both immediately stopping at the sight Jace.

"We got your call," Luke said. "Any news about Clary?"

"You almost killed her!" Simon stalked right in front of Jace. Olivia placed her hand on Simon's arm to stop him from passing the threshold.

"Ooh!" Jace teased, eyeing Simon up and down.

"She gave herself up to the Clave trying to protect you!" Simon screamed.

Jace unfazed replied, "Still jealous she picked me over you, huh? By the way, that kiss at the Seelie Court... we never got to compare notes."

"Let me in there!" Simon screamed. Olivia grabbed Simon around the waist as he pounded his fists on the barrier. "I'll throw you off a building!"

"Come on! Come on, Simon," Luke helped Olivia drag Simon out of the room, Jace's taunting laughs filling the living room. "The Jace in that trap is not our Jace. We need to focus," Luke reminded. "If the Clave finds out about Clary's wish to Raziel, we might never see her again."

Magnus joined the group in the study, shutting the door to the living room with a flick of his hand.

"All right. Do we have anybody in Idris that can get us information?" Luke asked looking around the group.

"Well, we stole from the Clave's armory. So if they've figured that out..." Alec started.

"They're not gonna tell us anything," Olivia finished.