Chapter 17 - Day of Wrath

They watched as Jace was led out of Magnus' apartment

They watched as Jace was led out of Magnus' apartment. Clary and Isabelle embraced Alec, before leaving to return the Institute. Magnus left Alec and Olivia shortly after saying something about needing a drink.

Alec and Olivia sat in an uncomfortable silence. Olivia had moved to the chair, Alec remained on the bed. Olivia was playing with the strings on her pants when Alec spoke.

"How could you leave?" His voice was a mixture of hurt and anger. Olivia looked up to see that his face was the same. 

"I couldn't let Jace go alone," was all she said.

"You could have been hurt, killed, the Shadow Knight could have taken over and I didn't know where you were to protect you."

"I'm sorry Alec," Olivia moved to sit on the bed next to him. "I knew that I was the only one that could kill Valentine. I couldn't let Jace be there alone."

"Why isn't he dead? Why didn't the Knight take over?"

Olivia explained everything to him. The ship, Valentine's experiments, and finally the serum. Alec was quiet the whole time but Olivia could see the tension building as she explained what Valentine had done to her.

"If I ever see him, I swear to the Angel," Alec gritted, his hands balled into the fists.

"I know babe," Olivia brushed the hair out of Alec's face, resting her palm on his cheek. She bent down slowly, pressing her lips to his. A spark erupted between their lips, a wave of magic spreading down their bodies.

"Did you feel that?" Olivia asked, pressing her fingers to her lips.

"Yeah," Alec replied, looking down his body.

"We should get back to the Institute," Olivia said quickly, getting off the bed.

"Yeah," Alec replied, confusion that wasn't his own coursing through his body.

*************************************

"Well, this is one nasty demon. Punched a hole right through his chest," Isabelle said as she analyzed the dead mundane. They had been called downtown to a report of a demon attack.

"With that kind of strength, I doubt it's done yet," Luke added.

"Nothing in the immediate area," Alec joined them, having finished his sweep of the crime scene.

"We're taking the body back to the Institute. I'll run some tests to see what kind of demon we're dealing with," Isabelle explained.

"Clary, Liv and I will widen the perimeter. Hey, Fray!" Alec called out to Clary. Clary jogged up to them. "We got a demon to hunt. Come on." Alec didn't give Clary time to respond before he grabbed Olivia's hand and walked off toward the perimeter.

Clary caught up to them, Alec tossing her his extra blade. "Most important thing," he said pointedly. "Don't slow us down. You slow us down, you get us all killed."