Chapter 10 - This World Inverted

The following morning Olivia made her way back to the Institute

The following morning Olivia made her way back to the Institute. She was in desperate need of a change of clothes and a decent meal. She managed to sneak in without being seen and made it to her room undetected. She showered and changed into a fresh set of clothes. She opted for a simple black tank, black ripped skinny jean and black combat boots. She put on a red lip, pulled her hair into a ponytail and placed a red pendant necklace on. 

Olivia made her way to the kitchen and began cooking herself breakfast. She heard the door but didn't bother to turn around. "Where were you?" the voice asked. Olivia knew it was Alec before she turned around. She would recognize his voice anywhere.

"And what does it matter to you?" Olivia replied, plating her food and moving to sit at the table.

"You were with Raphael weren't you?" Alec asked, hurt clear in his voice.

"And if I was? You no longer have to be concerned about my well-being Alec. You're getting married remember?" Olivia spat. 

"O," Alec said softly.

"No!" Olivia stood up, placing herself right in front of Alec. "You don't get to call me that anymore. I knew that upholding the Lightwood name was always important to you but I thought you cared about me. I thought you loved me. Guess I was just a means to an ends for you, huh? Someone convenient to help you get your rocks off when you needed it. Well you can go to hell Alec Lightwood." Olivia stormed out of the kitchen, her appetite and food completely forgotten. 

As she was storming back to her room she saw Isabelle being led to her room by two guards. 

"Iz, what's going on?" Olivia rushed up towards Isabelle only to be stopped by one of the men.

"If you want to keep that hand I suggest you take it off me," Olivia threatened the man. He instantly withdrew his hand but didn't let Olivia any closer.

"Unless you want arrested too I suggest you walk away Wayland."

"It's okay, Liv," Isabelle reassured her before letting the guards escort her into her room.

Olivia turned back around and headed to the Head Office knowing Alec would be in there. She slammed into the room, the force of it knocking papers off the desk.

"Do you want to tell me why my parabati is being held prisoner in her own room?" Olivia screamed at Alec.

Alec picked up the papers that had flown off, placing them calmly back on the desk. "She's being tried for high treason."

"She's what?" Anger was radiating off Olivia at this point. "I am going to kill Lydia."

"Olivia, please." Alec stood up from the desk and walked over to her. He made to put his hands on her shoulders but when she gave him a death glare he pulled back. "I don't want you to get in trouble as well."

"Have you lost your fucking mind? She's your sister!"

"I know that Olivia. I think that if we give the Clave the Cup, they will spare her."

"Then give them the Cup!"

"I can't. Your brother stole it and I can't track him like normal."

Olivia looked at Alec and she realized the underlying meaning of that sentence. "No. No way. If you try to track him with your parabati bond it could kill both of you."

"We don't have a choice, Liv. Lydia already agreed to help."

"Of course she did," Olivia scoffed. "If you want to kill yourself by all means go ahead." Olivia stormed out of the office and back to Isabelle's room. 

She stood in front of guards and put on her best flirtatious voice. "Hey there Damien," she winked at the blond guard. "Lydia said that Izzy was allowed one visitor. You think you could let me in for a minute?" she ran her hand down his arm. Damien looked at her questioningly but opened the door for her.

Isabelle was sitting on the bed and Olivia went over, wrapping her in a hug. "This is all so fucked up," Olivia said.

"I know but I wouldn't take back what we did. We saved Meliorn's life and that's all that matters." Olivia nodded her head. She could see how much Isabelle cared for Meliorn and it hurt her heart thinking about her and Alec.

Isabelle could feel Olivia's heartbreak through their bond but even if they weren't parabati she knew her best friend and knew when she was hurting. "I'm so sorry Liv. I know how much Alec means to you."

Olivia didn't say anything for a few minutes. She felt a tear fall down her cheek. "I thought he loved me," Olivia said softly.

"And he still does," Isabelle reassured her. "He's just confused and thinks that he has to do everything to please the Clave." Olivia just nodded her head not knowing what to say.

"Can I ask you something?" Isabelle looked in Olivia's direction. "Did you let Raphael bite you?"

Olivia's head shot up as she looked at her parabati. "How.. How did you?"

"I could feel it too. A pain in my neck."

"Do Alec and Jace know?" Olivia asked worried. 

"No," Isabelle shook her head. "I played it off like I had pulled muscle. But Liv, you need to careful. I'm not saying don't spend time with the guy just be careful."

"Thanks, Iz." Olivia hugged her again. 

They sat there for another 10 minutes, chatting like old times, until Alec entered the room, looking exhausted. 

"Alec, what did you do?" Isabelle immediately pulled Alec onto the bed, checking him for injuries. Olivia got off the bed, moving over to the chair in the corner. She couldn't bear to be close to him.

"Lydia and I thought we could stop the trial if we gave the Clave the Cup," Alec said defeated. 

"Lydia helped you?" Isabelle asked astonished.

"It doesn't matter. She has no choice but to go through with the trial now."

"It's okay big brother," Isabelle hugged him. "I know you tried."

"I'm sorry," Alec said, but he was looking at Olivia as he did. Olivia felt tears falling down her cheeks as she exited the room and walked out of the Institute.