Chapter 4

Thomas woke up with a growling hunger in his stomach. Almost stronger then the panic in his gut.
Almost.
He stumbled as he stay up quickly and he topped out of his hammock, almost barreling into a sleeping Chuck next to him.
He shucked in a breath and frantically looked around, his panic on residing when he worked out where he was. The glade.
It still don't mean much to Thomas. But it would soon
***
"We have three rules"
Thomas had to resist every urge to interrupt ably. He just wanted to know everything from beginning to end. Everything.
But they had only just begun, they were standing roughly in the middle of the enormous square.
"Number one. Do your part. Nothing works around here if you slack off, understand?"
Thomas nodded but his gaze fell back to the maze. He had seen a few boys leave at breakfast - when he had pointed them out to chuck he had called them the 'runners'. Thomas had remembered newt mentioning them.
"Second rule. Never hurt another glader. If we ain't go trust - we ain't got nothing, ya hear me greenie?"
"Yeah. Yeah. Never hurt another glader"
Alby clapped once.
"Hey. Greenie. Look at me"
Thomas turned to Alby, the boys face was tired and almost frustrated. But not mean. Just... Feed up.
"Rule three. Do not enter the maze. Okay? No maze. Alright greenie?"
Thomas swallowed and looked back at the doors
"But what about the runners, how come they-"
Almost in answer, the boy Thomas had seen yesterday, Minho, sprinted out of the doors. His face was flushed red and his chest rose and fell with each huge breath of air he took.
He stopped, only for a moment, before jogging towards them.
Thomas held his breath as he realised that worry had creased albys face.
"What is it? Why are you back?"
"Grievers" Minho whispered
"Huh?"
Minho gulped in more air.
"Dead. Dead grievers"
"What!? Where?" Ably hissed
"Section 6"
"Are you serious?"
"No shuck face - I just ran back here to tell you the funniest joke ever"
Alby stepped forward towards Minho.
"I have to check it out"
"I know. That why I've come to get you. We have to go now though. Now"
Alby sighed and checked his watch, slowly shaking his head
"No Minho. Tomorrow."
Minho looked up at Alby the spat near his feet. He put his hands on his hips and smirked at Alby through his still heaving breaths.
"No way. Your coming now. It's still early"
"But-"
"There's two"
"Two?!" Thomas could tell that this had probably never happened before. Albys face was a mixture of surprise and annoyance. And fear.
"Two. Dead. Grievers"
Alby buried his head in his hands. Finally after a few seconds his looked back up at Minho.
"Okay. Now. Get me some stuff meet me by these doors"
Minho left immediately, jogging off to a metal square building by the box.
"Greenie. Sorry. Gotta go. Uh... Don't be stupid. Don't follow us. Newt will look after ya-"
"I don't need-"
"I said newt will look after ya if you need anything, okay?"
"Alright" Thomas felt like screaming in frustration. He wanted answers. That's all.
Alby jogged over to the homestead leaving Thomas alone.
Three hours later Thomas was sitting with newt having lunch.
Newt had reacted the same way as Alby. Surprise. Fear.
But as the afternoon crept in, Alby and Minho didn't show.
"Newt?"
"Yeah?" They were in the garden together - the grand tour had been postponed until the next day. But newt hadn't seemed very sure about wether or not Alby would have time.
"Aren't they meant to be back"
Newt stabbed his small shovel into the earth and sunk his grubby hands into his hair. He clutched his brain and squeezed his eyes shut then sighed and let his hands swing back to his sides.
"They will come back. They're just late"

*HEY GUYS UM THANK YOU ALL FOR OVER 100 VEIWS IT MEANS A LOT AN I HOPE YOU ARE ENJOYING THIS FANFICTION ILYSM 💕*