Chapter 12

The room wasn't large, the walls tiled with smooth white squares and the floor hard, grey concrete.
A door, a fraction smaller then most, stood at one end of the room.
Another, slightly larger door, was placed on the opposite wall. Both were tightly closed.
Thomas processed all this information n a heartbeat, not even bothering to notice anything else at all. Only newt.
Scuttling forward on his hands and knees he felt his heart rise as he saw newt eyes, squinted but still open. Alive. The image of newt shiny honey eyes, glazed over in death, vanished from his head.
"Newt?" Thomas put his shoulders cautiously on newt shoulders, slowly twisting the boy around to face him.
Newt groaned in pain, his hand instinctively traveling to the wound on his back. Newt clenched his eyes shut as that movement alone sent pain shooting up newts side.
Thomas spoke quietly "No no, it's okay" he reached forward and held newts wrists, guiding his hands away from the wound. newt looked up to see Thomas, as though for the first time, a twist of joy and pain creased through his face.
"Tom...tommy?"
Thomas blinked as a strange sense of relief washed through him. Newt was alive. Newt was alive.
All he could do was nod his head slightly in reply as the tiring strain of what he'd just done settled on him.
Memories of the griever flashed across his vision constantly but he tried to shove them all back.
Focus.
Letting go of one of newts wrists he turned around and slowly shuffled backwards to stop beside the other Glader.
Sitting beside him he squeezed his wrist quickly and then let go, heat traveling to his head and turning his ears red. Newt uttered the weakest of smiles.
"I'm gonna look at your back, okay?" Thomas questioned, slightly afraid of the wound that could be hiding there.
newt muttered something about how he was fine,really and that they just need to keep moving but he slowly inched forward from the wall.
Thomas felt the strain and confusion and utter madness of the last few day blur from his thoughts as he tried to focus on newts lower left shoulder.
Old, dry blood had stained his t-shirt, a crimson mess. Thomas reached for the collar of the shirt, his fingers already covered in red.
Newt nodded ever so slightly.
Thomas pulled the collar down, over newts shoulder as the boy let out a painful cry.
"Sorry, sorry-"
"It's fine" newt mumbled biting the insides of his mouth to silence his agony.
With the shirt now revealing the wound that sat behind it, Thomas realised there was nothing he could do. This realisation hit him with dissapointment. He needed to do something to help.
"What...what was that?"
"A griever" newt voice was stony and low "didn't like us very much now, did he?"
Newt pulled away and leaned back, pulling up his shirt collar. he winced as he turned to face Thomas.
When he saw Thomas' grave and worried look he shook his head
"Now tommy, don't go lookin like that - we made it" he put on a sarcastic smile of victory and gestured around. his fake smile soon vanished as those movements caused a flicker of pain to run across his face.
Thomas put a hand on newts good shoulder to steady him.
"Sit back down, against the wall maybe" Thomas suggested, guiding newt back to a sitting position against the wall.
Thomas sat down beside him, his face slowly sunk into his hands.
What was he doing?
Why was this happening?
How did he even get here?
Where was 'here'?
Thomas felt something stir at the back of his head, like a memory trying to struggle forward though the white noise.
He pushed his hands up through his hair then turned round to newt.
That strange feeling in the back of his mind suddenly enveloped his brain as a surge of new energy hit him. It was time to get out. It was time to get back to the glade so the medjacks could help newt. Thomas prayed on every star that newt could make it back to the glade.
Even if it meant Thomas didn't.

* it's kinda short (don't hate me) but there will be more soon, I just want to update more rather then hit you guys with heaps at once and then wait for ten years 😂 thank you so much for 10K READS WHAT EVEN
And thanks for your lovely comments stay tab and remember
Newtmas for life *