Chapter 2

the other boys were silent, they also blocked the boy from the one thing he wanted to see most. where he was.
"Whats your name greenie?" newt raised his eyebrows, a smile still plastered on his face.
he was tall, probably taller then himself, his hair was darker in the shadows of the box. his clothes were ragged and dirty like he had been rolling around in dusty dirt.the material stretched over his arms but hung lose around his stomach. his face was clean, his pink lips were cracked, a small cut on his bottom lip stuck out against his white teeth.
"well?"
"I... i cant. i cant remember. anything" he felt blank. Like evrything had been ripped away and a whole new word was being shoved onto him.
"ah well. it was worth a try. You'll get your name within a couple days" when newt saw the new boys reaction he chuckled and whispered
"Don't worry. It happens to all of us. Ain't that right Alby?"
The boy looked up to see the leaders face darken. Alby.
"Yeah. Yeah that's right. You ain't special. Get him out newt." Alby turned to face the rest of the group as he yelled an order.
"Go on. Give him some space!" When no one moved he raised his voice "I said. Give the greenie some space!" Alby didn't look back as he ushered the other boys away.
The new boy, the greenie, clenched his eyes closed at the sight of the sky, blue and cloudless.
"C'mon" newt said, his low voice echoing around the box and escaping into the air "you've got a lot to see greenie" he heaved himself up, out of the box and stuck out his hand to the boy below.
He stared at it, not knowing quite what to do. An overwhelming wave of curiosity hit him as he looked into the eyes of the boy above.
"C'mon. Don't be shy" the boy took his hand and couldn't help but watch the muscles clench in his arms as he hoisted him out of the lift.
The boys boots touched the grassed over soil surrounding the hole. Newt stood next to him, and he felt a hand squeeze his shoulder.
"Welcome to the glade, greenie"
***
The next hour or so was a complete blur.
The boy only knew three things.
1) he was in an enormous area, surrounded my four massive stone walls with ivy crawling up all the sides. There was a cluster of trees in one corner, a small shack - filled with several loud animals in the other.
The was a tall, rickety building that looked as though I could have fallen down at any second.
2) that place, was called the glade. Boys had been there for an entire two years.
3) newt was his favourite glader so far.
After he had climbed from the box newt had waved him arms around - shouting things like "slicers" and "homestead" and "Box" as he gestured around the strange place.
"We first came here to years ago. Sent us up in the box just like you, greenie. Ably? He took charge. Learnt how to run the place. Ever since we have run this place - absolutely no problems"
But as he spoke those words there was something behind his eyes.
A darkness that seemed to lignite in his eyes for slightly to long.
The boy wondered why such a good person like newt could have something like that inside.
"What's out there?" The boy pointed to on of the walls. To the place he wanted to know the most about. A large gap stretched down the wall from to to bottom.
Outside - the boy couldn't see very much - only dark shadows and more walls.
"That? Well, you are keen. Last greenie I had klunked his pants and hid in the homestead"
The boy wondered why and how someone could be alone in this situation. He looked across at newt, glad all over again that he was there with him. But he wanted to know about what was beyond those walls
"You didn't answer me"
Newt shot him a glance of surprise "alright then greenie. You're buggin lucky you're talking to me like that an not minho"
"Minho?"
"Yeah. Keeper of the runners. Wouldn't want to mess around -"
"Runners?" The darkness in newts eyes had disappeared but the boy still felt the ghost of it in the gold of his eyes.
"Okay. Listen up. Here's the deal. I'm gonna tell you some stuff now cause I like ya - alright? But tomorrow Alby is gonna tell you everything. I ain't answering that many questions. Deal?"
He raised his eyebrows and the boy nodded.
"Deal" he keep his eyes on the walls but he could feel newt smiling beside him
"Okay then greenie..."