Chapter 11: Choke

Ben and I got to New York on May 2nd with all of our friends. We spent the first two days with everyone, unable to get away from them. Ben was starting to get annoyed as the week went on. Two days into the trip it was time for my audition. I was getting ready in the morning, trying not to wake up Ben, we he got up and looked at me.

"What are you doing, love?" He asked me.

"I've got to go to my audition," I said. "I was trying not to wake you."

"It's alright," Ben said. "I wish you didn't have to go right now. I was hoping we could spend some time together before everyone else steals you away from me."

"I know," I said. "I'm sorry we haven't had any time for just the two of us."

"We'll make some time," Ben said. "Tonight. I'll take you out to dinner, just the two of us. Then we can come back here and... have even more fun, with just the two of us." Ben wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me closer, leaving little kisses on my neck. I giggled and softly pushed him away.

"That sounds perfect," I said. "But I really need to go now. I'll see you tonight." I gave Ben a kiss and left to go to my audition.

When I got to the theater, I waited for hours before I was finally called on stage, but I still went up there with a smile. I wanted to make a good first impression.

"Hello," I said. "I'm Charlie Taylor-"

"Who?" The producer interrupted.

"Charlie Taylor," I repeated. "I'm a performer from London."

"I've never heard of you," he said coldly.

"Well no," I said. "I'm not really well known. The director saw me in a few shows in London and invited me to audition."

"Oh yeah, that stupid hack," he said. "I'm the producer. That guy was giving out auditions like candy when I told him I wanted real performers for this show. So I fired his ass. I'm directing this myself."

"O-ok," I said nervously.

"You're not well known," he said. "Or known at all, but you're already here. You may as well audition."

"Alright then," I said quietly. I started my audition, bit because of what the producer said, I had completely lost my confidence. I was off key and I tripped while I was dancing. I never trip! After I was done, the producer waved me off and I ran out, trying not to break down. When I got back to the hotel, I stormed in and saw Ben waiting for me.

"You're back!" He said happily. "How did it go?"

"Bloody awful!" I snapped. "The director who saw me in London was fired and the producer wanted nothing to do with me! I completely blew it!" Ben came over to me and gave me a hug as I broke down.

"It's alright, love," Ben said. "That producer sounds awful, you don't want to work with him anyway.

"We flew all the way here for nothing," I cried.

"No we didn't," Ben said. "We're going to have fun. Tonight, we'll have a nice dinner and tomorrow we can explore New York, just the two of us." I sniffled and smiled up at him.

"Alright," I said. "I love you." Ben kissed my forehead and stroked my hair lightly.

"I love you too," he said.