Chapter 3: The Secret

I ended up getting a drink with Ben at the bar after work. He was nice, but we only talked for about an hour. I was tired and I wanted to get to bed. I came home around midnight and saw Freddie sitting at the kitchen table waiting for me.

"Hello, Charlotte," he said. "What are you doing home so early?"

"Early?" I said. "It's midnight."

"You didn't start drinking with your new man until eleven," he said. "Did you shag in the restaurant?"

"His name is Ben," I said. "And he's not my new man. I was just getting a drink with him to be nice, and that's all we did. One drink, no kissing or anything."

"Oh," Freddie said, disappointed. "Well, that's dull."

"What do you want from me?" I said. "Do you want me to sleep with someone just so you can have something to gossip about?"

"Well that's not the only reason," he said. "I want you to be happy, darling! If I just wanted something to gossip about, I would just ask you about your past lovers."

"I am happy," I said. "And I'm not telling you about my past relationships either."

"Why not?" Freddie asked. "We're best friends, you're supposed to tell me everything!"

"There's nothing to tell Freddie!" I snapped.

"Not every story has to be extraordinary or outrageous, darling," he said. "But I would like to know something! I don't even know how you lost your virginity!"

"Well, I'll let you know how that goes when it happens," I said quickly. My eyes got wide as I realized what I had just said.

"Oh my God," Freddie said. "Charlie, are you a virgin!"

"Of course not!" I lied, trying to laugh it off, but failing miserably.

"You are!" Freddie said. "Charlie, how is that possible?"

"I don't know," I said. "My whole life, the only man I cared about was Roger. He's older than me, but our parents never really raised us, so he took care of me, which made me feel like I had to take care of him. Then when we grew up, I was so focused on dance, I just didn't go out with that many people."

"Ok," Freddie said. "So you've never had sex, but you've done other stuff right?"

"Of course," I said. "I've kissed plenty of boys."

"I meant beyond kissing," he asked.

"Oh," I said. "Then... no." Freddie just looked away for a minute and I sighed. "You think I'm a freak don't you?" I asked.

"No!" Freddie said quickly. "No, of course not! I just don't understand how this could have happened. You're 21-years-old and you're so pretty, how is it possible that you've never slept with anyone? Even with dance and work, you have free time."

"I suppose I am just waiting for the right person," I said. "Or at least I was. At this point, I'd settle for someone I know decently who cares about me, even if we're not in love. I just want to get it over with." Freddie turned away for a second. He looked like he was lost in thought.

"Huh," he said suddenly.

"What?" I asked him.

"You would be fine if your first time was with someone who cares about you?" He asked. "Even if you weren't in love?"

"Yeah," I said. "Why?"

"I know someone who would be perfect," Freddie said. "He cares about you a lot. In fact, he loves you. He's not in love with you, but he loves you in a friendly way."

"Who would that be?" I asked. Freddie looked at the ground for a second and then looked back at me and said,

"Me."