Not Really Goodbye

And just like that, what might've been a battle switched to a cloud of despair; snarls fell from lips, claws were retracted at record speed, and everyone filtered into the cave where Asha lay. Simba paused to look at his uncle with an unreadable expression before getting off and going in the cave, Nala, Timon, and Pumba following behind. The crowds parted for them and Simba froze at what he saw.

Laying on a stone slab, was Asha, but nowhere close to how he remembered her; thin as a twig and as naked as the day she was born (having suffered heat flashes) her face looked like a dead animal left out in the sun; parched and puckered with hair stringy like dry grass. Hardly aware of even his movements, Simba carefully came to her side as she opened her eyes, which were so pale they seemed almost white. A smile slowly came to her cracked lips, lighting up her withered face.

"Simba..." She crocked, raising a trembling hand. "Is it, really you? I thought..." Simba slipped his nose under her palm, biting back tears. "It doesn't matter." She laughed, it sounded more like a cough. "You're right, you're home." Her gaze fell to Timon and Pumba. "Who are your friends?" Simba opened his eyes and looked to the two.

"Timon, Pumba, meet my auntie Asha." The two carefully stepped froward as Asha smiled and patted Pumba's nose. "Pleased to...meet you." Before stroking Timon's head with a trembling finger. "You know...I think I would've liked running with you two through the grass." They both sniffled, they didn't know her but already they felt as if she didn't deserve to die. She looked back to Simba before placing a hand on his furry cheek. "You look so much like your father." He was quick to gently nuzzle her, her palm stroking the back of his mane.

A faint rustling came through the crowd as the hyenas came in. Shenzi Banzai and Ed were the first to run up, Ed flopping his head beside Asha, whimpering, it was the first time anyone had seen him cry. Then again he wasn't the only one.

"You can't go Asha, who's going to be the queen of the dead?" Asked Banzai, Shenzi was too choked up to speak, Asha looked to him while scratching Ed behind the ears. "I'm sure you'll find someone Banzai." "She won't be you." Sobbed Shenzi, before throwing herself down at Asha's feet, bawling her eyes out for what would probably be the last time.

And then...Scar came in.

Head lowered, refusing to meet anyone's gaze, he paused at the entrance for a moment before coming in. No one wanted to look at him, they didn't want to feel pity for the creature that had admitted to killing Mufasa, but none of them were made of stone and they all knew this goodbye would be the hardest to say.

Time seemed to slow as he made his way to the stone slab, even the hyenas pulled back. He paused before finally looking at Asha, Simba held back his gasp; in all his youth he had never seen Scar cry and here he was, tears streaming down his cheeks.

"Taka..." Asha whispered. That did it; at a moderate speed, he hopped up and lay beside her, slipping beneath her arms. Silence fell.

"Ashy...don't leave me." Scar whispered, tears dropping onto her face, she giggled faintly as they did, reaching up and wiping them away.

"What are you talking about? I'll never really leave you, I'll always be there; in the wind that dances through the grass, in the sound of the water splashing, in the eyes of the pride and its king." They both glanced at Simba who nodded slightly, it was all the confirmation anyone needed. Her hand came up and cupped Scar's cheek, angling his face back towards her.

"Hey...there nothing you could've done, there's nothing you haven't done. You made me the happiest creature in the Pridelands, you gave me love, you came back home, you even made me the queen of my own world. You've done a great job, just..." She paused to cough, a spot of blood flying out and landing close to Simba's paw. "Just keep up the good work okay?" Her voice had dropped even softer, Scar closed his eyes and placed his forehead against hers, both her hands draped around his neck, her own eyes closing as a tear fell from both.

"No matter what you've done, you'll always be my brother and the best mate I could ever ask for." She was trembling. "I love you Taka." He pressed out a sad laugh. "I love you too Asha."

Then she seemed to yawn, her arms went slack and dropped to the ground, one palm turned to the heavens.

"Asha? Asha!" Simba lay a paw on his uncle's, eyes closed.

"She's gone uncle."