Queen of the Dead

It went without saying that after that Asha didn't go out that much; she was weak to the point where all she did was eat and sleep, the only other time she was awake was in the early morning and early evening, before the heat made it hard for her to think straight. In the early morning creatures like Nala, the hyenas, and rarely Zazu came to visit. The evening was a time reserved specifically for Scar.

"We really shouldn't be this far out." Asha weakly complained before coughing violently. "Shh, no one has to know." Scar whispered. It was some time after twilight and the pride had gone to bed hungry, not that the king really cared, he had something much more important on his mind.

"You know if Sarabi catches us she's gonna rip you apart." "She'll have to go through the hyenas first." "Ah yes, your ever-loyal army." "No, our ever-loyal army, the respect you more they do me. You're easier to love." "Aww, you do care." Before falling into another coughing fit, he waited until she was done before replying; "Always."

It was hard for Asha to walk so Scar keep his pace steady as she practically hitched a ride on his back, her legs dragging on the ground beneath as she clung to his fur. He tried his best to ignore how her hands, usually so warm and soft, were now cold and dry. Or how every now and again she coughed up a spot of red resulting in a crimson trail. "Where are we going anyway?" He smiled and paused to pat her hand. "It's a surprise." She met his gaze with a tired smile before glancing back towards Pride Rock, mind continuing to worry.

Is there anyone I can trust other than Scar and the hyenas? Nala, she's nice but sometimes I think she's just playing spy to Sarabi. And Zazu...he never liked me so that's out of the question. (sigh) I wish mom was here, she'd know what to do. It was right around then when Asha noticed where she and her brother were.

"Taka, what are we doing in the hyena lands?" His smile was the type of someone holding a delicious secret. "I thought...with all the serious stuff you've been dealing with these past few days that maybe you'd like to...have a laugh." She wasn't really listening until the 'have a laugh' bit. Then her head snapped around quicker than she ever thought possible.

"Say what?" There was a sharp snap before Ed suddenly rolled out to her feet before sitting up and throwing up his paws in a gesture that shouted 'Surprise!' "Ed!" Shouted Shenzi as she and Banzai came forward. "You were supposed to wait for the signal." Banzai looked at her funny. "We had a signal?" Frowning, she grabbed a bone and hit him upside the head. "OW!" Asha laughed, Scar's heart soared.

"What's this all about?" The three hyenas looked back to their human friend. "Scar suggested it;" Said Banzai, "A night where you're our queen and we have to do everything you say. And the best part...?" Ed let out a string of excited yelps, laughs, and snarls, Asha smiled. "No one can call me an abomination." She was one of the few creatures who understood him. She looked to Scar with a face brighter than the heavens.

"Oh Taka..." He smiled. "Go on and have fun." She joyfully kissed his cheek before rushing after the hyenas, excitement coursing through her veins.

~

"Come on Shenzi, take the plunge before I push you in!" "Alright I'm going!" Shenzi backed up a few steps before taking a running start off the small cliff and into the geyser pit, everyone cheered then laughed when she shot out screaming 'hot hot hot' and heading for the cooler pools. Scar watched her pass with a light chuckle before looking back to his sister.

Sitting atop a crudely made throne of bones, Asha's face was illuminated by the unusual green light of the geysers, her smile eerie but familiar and her eyes lit with a fascinatingly strange fire. Even if she did look like the queen of the dead, it had been a while since the last time he had seen her so happy and that's what mattered most. As he turned his attention to the small meal before him, Shenzi came back and flopped down beside him. "Man Scar, I keep on forgetting how much you two have in common; you're both proper when you want to be but that doesn't mean you can't be crazy like the rest of us." When he didn't reply she glanced at him out the corner of her eye and noticed how intensely he gazed at his sister.

"You really like her don't you?" The barest hint of worry came to his eyes. "You can't be that stupid." "I'm not, but you might be." He glared at her out the corner of his eye with less hate then she expected before going back to his meal, she lowered her head to rest on her paws. "Why do you like her so much anyway?" He took a moment to lick his paws clean before speaking.

"What's not to love? She's kind, smart, funny, accepting-" "Those are the reasons everyone else likes her, I'm asking for your opinion." Scar sighed, gently scratching the ground with one claw. 

"I guess it all comes down to the same reason everyone else doesn't like her; she's different, has her own brand of weird that no one else wants to be a part of because it's not...normal." His gaze lifted at the sound of her laughing. "No one except family ever really accepted us, and even then I don't think Mufasa saw her the same way I did and still do." There was a rare sadness in his eyes now. "I never really felt like I belonged but with Asha...with my darling Assy, nothing else matters. All I want is to please her, to make her happy, to see her smile." "To stand beside her forever." Shenzi finished, Scar paused before looking away. The hyena stood.

"We scavengers know this for a fact; nothing lasts forever." Before she turned and ran back to the party. Scar remained silent, but a single tear slid down the side of his cheek where no one else would see it.