Over Time

Asha was the youngest of her brothers but they didn't mind, like a newborn imprinting they accepted her as their sister and quickly grew fond of her despite the many differences. In order to make sure she never forgot her people's ways, Uru had Rafiki take her for several hours each day to learn how to walk upright and other things the lioness couldn't teach her. For Mufasa and Taka, it was pure torture to be without their sister and a great joy when she returned. It wasn't until she was about three when Rafiki felt she could learn the ways of the pride on her own. So he stopped taking her and the three siblings began a life together.

~

As toddlers, Mufasa was playful and enjoyed romping around with the other cubs all day while wishing the day could last forever but also knowing it could not. But Taka was different, he could've been just as playful, but noticed how Asha stayed home alone out of fear no one would like her.

"Asha." From her spot outside the cave, the girl looked up, smiling at the sight of her middle brother. "Taka, what are you doing back so early?" He strode to her side, sitting a few inches away. "Honestly, I came to see you. I'm worried about you." She smiled softly, returning her attention to her doodles in the mud.

"You don't have to be, I'm fine by myself." He came closer, slipping his head under her hand in peaceful submission. "I want to be by myself, as long as I'm with you." She was surprised at first before hugging him happily around the neck.

"Oh Taka, I don't deserve a brother like you, I love you so much." He lay a paw on her back, chin resting on her shoulder as his eyes went blissfully half lid.

"Love you too Asha, with all my heart." He whispered, before slowly nuzzling her dark skin.

~

The years carried on, Asha started going out and making friends whilst her brothers learned more about their futures. As youngsters just out of their toddler years, they were young and endlessly curious.

"Mufasa Taka, it's about time you two got back!" The little girl ran out from the cave to greet her siblings. Mufasa smiled and raced towards her with a warm laugh but Taka approached relatively slower, a growing ache in his stomach at the sight of her welcoming green eyes. An ache that flared into something different when his two siblings happily embraced.

"Come on you two, let's head down to the water hole."

Taka didn't usually pay attention to one particular thing so strongly but he found himself noticing everything about his sister that day; the way her black hair danced in the wind when she ran with those powerful legs, how her laugh made his heart constrict with something powerful. It wasn't a deadly pain like a cut or scratch, it was deeper and much more profound. And as he watched the way her eyelids fluttered closed as she drank, he decided he didn't want it to leave just yet.

~

The two brothers were almost completely grown, manes coming in and hate for each other growing. It seemed the only thing keeping them together was Asha, who like them was no longer a child.

Mufasa was trying in vain to talk to Sarabi, the lioness who had captured his heart, but was failing comically. As he started to walk away, he caught sight of Taka lying in a tree's shade, eyes fixed on one particular female.

By now Asha was a young lady of unmistakable beauty; she wore a dark red cloth wrapped across her breasts and a dark purplish-red triangle of fabric around her waist, her long black hair was often spotted with leaves and a white flower was always tucked behind her ear. She had been smiling that day with those chocolate lips of hers as she played with the cubs by running and leaping about, hair streaming out, laughter light and eyes sparkling. Mufasa sat beside his brother, observing how intensely he stared at their sister, before speaking.

"You realize neither of us can ever have her." It wasn't supposed to be an argument, Taka barely nodded. "I understand." Though the way he said it that made it clear he didn't want to.