Always Protected

Asha had been with Mufasa and Zazu, thinking back to her most recent interaction with Scar, when the object of her thoughts came running up saying Simba was caught in a wildebeest stampede in the gorge. She wanted to help but Mufasa told her to stay put, she waited until they were out of sight before pursuing. Upon reaching her destination, she stayed at the top so no one saw her.

What she witnessed made her heart stop and she was acutely aware of Simba's yell. And yet she couldn't bring herself to answer his cries for help, nor could she believe what her other brother made their nephew think. She finally moved when the hyenas ran after the young cub, she stood and ran off in the opposite direction, vaguely aware of Scar watching her go.

~

It was around midnight when word reached the pride that Mufasa and Simba were dead, Asha didn't say anything but didn't stay to mourn with the rest of them. As soon as the hyenas rolled in and everyone's attention was diverted, she took to her feet and headed for the grasslands. But not everyone was unaware of her departure.

Sometime later, while crying at the empty waterhole, Asha became aware she was no longer alone. She hugged herself with trembling arms and choked back her sobs as Scar came out from the tall dark grass.

"You know what I did." She broke down all over again, throat growing hoarse with sobs and palms pressing against her eyes to stop the tears that still managed to stream forth. He crept closer as her sobs receded and barely slipped his nose under her elbow when she jumped back.

"Don't touch me!" She glared at him with furious eyes and tear-stained cheeks, he looked back impassively. Her fury flared at his calm whilst facing the storm.

"You killed them, you killed our brother and our nephew. And for what? Some stupid title that makes you better then the rest of us? Why Scar?" She paused to catch her breath. "Why did you do it, and why haven't you finished me off too?"

A small part of him broke at her words, he lowered his head and took a drink from the lake before sitting back and looking out across the water. There was a long pause of silence before he lowered his head with a sigh, eyes cast down.

"Because I love you." She scoffed. "Yeah, like you loved Mufasa and Simba." "It's not that kind of love." At first she was confused, then it hit her. Like the scent of decaying meat when the wind abruptly changes.

"Scar..." "Taka, please call me Taka." By now he was gazing at her with such powerful emotions that she silently prayed he wasn't implying what she thought. When he stood she found herself frozen with fear so it was easy for him to come closer still. One minute he was standing, the next laying down, gazing up at the human that was his sister.

"I've loved you since the first time I saw you. As a cub I didn't know my feelings until mating season came. The only reason I chose Zira was so that no one got suspicious, but my heart belongs to you. Only you can make me feel alive yet trapped. Everything about you makes me feel defeated; your whimsical laugh, the light lovely way you run, the sparkle in your beguiling green eyes. You know not your effect on me, yet with each moment you're happy I am sick with grief. Praying for the day I can reveal my true intentions and share your joy. Darling sister don't turn away, my only wish is to make you happy. Don't leave me so broken hearted." Before placing his paws over his eyes.

Asha was at a loss for words; she had always suspected her second brother was unhealthily fond of her but this was something entirely different. He really loved her, even if he knew there was nothing to get out of it. They couldn't mate and produce a child or a cub, love and hold was all they could do, without anyone knowing of course. And even then that would mean he'd be cheating on Zira, with his sister. The whole thing was beyond forbidden.

And yet...it didn't feel bad. As the only human in the Pride Lands, Asha was lonely and did sometimes wonder what it would it be like to have a mate. She knew Scar better than anyone, he wasn't so bad once he got past his dark mane and cold demeanor, he just had a very twisted sense of what's right. Besides, with Mufasa and Simba gone he was the only one she could afford to trust.

She gazed upon his submissive state for a moment before holding out a hand, pulling it back, and finally resting it atop her brother's mane. His paws instantly went to the dirt, eyes wide and unbelieving. Asha sat with her knees pulled to her flushed cheeks, a barely trembling arm holding them in place as her glossy eyes looking out on the water.

"Rafiki once told me I couldn't find a mate out here, that I had to go back to the pride I was originally born to, and everyone believed him because he was known to be very wise." She drew her knees tighter to her chest, lower lip now trembling a little.

"But...you were never bothered by that, were you? Even when Mufasa started to catch on and remind you constantly what that monkey had said, you didn't let him vex you. When it came time for you to choose a mate, you took Zira to make it innocent enough, as you've told me. You've risked so much and you've done it all for me." She finally withdrew her hand from his mane, burying her face in her knees.

"No one's ever cared as much as you. The fact that you'd die for me...it scares me." He paused before sitting up, gently gazing upon her bowed head. He placed a gentle paw on her foot, savoring the familiar smoothness of her skin.

"Don't deny me." She finally raised her head as he did his gaze, eyes alining and sealing a vow that had been held off for so long.

"Who said I was going to?" He gently smiled before stepping closer, she returned it as they nuzzled noses, eyes blissfully closed and smiles romantically happy.