Force of Nature

A/n: this chapter is just like an extra chapter. It's very domestic and just a fun family type thing between our family of runaways, misfits, and other things to name the group. Also Kore wears this later in the chapter, ik it's Padme but let's pretend it's not for the chapter. Okay? Ok.
-emo

No ones POV:

Just like Kore promised, they stopped at a deserted planet for a few moments of quiet. D'Qar. Kore's home planet. It didn't bring up the best memories but it was isolated.
"D'Qar?" Mando asked as they exited the ship.
Kore breathed in the fresh air, her eyes closing and her face relaxing. She had the child in her arms and let him down once the stepped off the ship.
"Yeah. It's not by any main space lanes, so no one visits." She said as she took off her boots, letting her feet adjust to the grass. "I haven't been here in years."
"It's nice here."
"Yeah... I have a place where we can stay."
"You do?" Mando asked as he grabbed a crate off the ship.
"Duh. I lived here."
They walked down a long forgotten road that was overgrown with foliage. Kore didn't mind however, feeling at ease at being home. They walked most of the day until they got to a large manor that was hidden deep in the jungle of trees. Ivy vines grew heavy on the stone walls, the whole building looked frozen in time.
The three walked over and Kore had a difficult time getting the door open so Mando walked over and rammed his shoulder in it, the door finally opening. Mando looked around, the child following him as Kore went to her old bedroom.
Her bed was still made and the truck at the foot of her bed was untouched. Kore could hardly believe this was once her life. The simplicity of it. Having a family. Living in a home. Almost marrying the person she loved. But that all came crumbling down at the hand of shining red blade. A cruel reminder of what she'd done wasn't free.
Kore bent down to the box that held the dress she was going to wear that day... the day her peace ended. The silver latches on the trunk opened with a soft 'click' and she pulled out and yellow and gold material. She pulled it up to her face, breathing in the scent of lavender and honey.
A knock at her door caused her to look over and see Mando. He was holding her box and bag, which she stitched back together after their first meet.
"Here's your things."
"Thanks." Kore got up, gently tossing the dress onto the bed and walked over to grab her things.
"You can stay in any of the rooms, except the one on the end of the hall. The bed in there was made for a child so we might want to stick the little one in there."
Mando took a look around her room until his eyes landed on her dress.
"That would look good on you." He said pointing to the dress. Kore blushed and looked away.
"Thanks. It's been a while since I've had the privilege of wearing anything frivolous. Oh and, the doors have locks and surprisingly, the water still works. And on that note, get out." She jokingly pushed him out of the room and closed the door. Sighing against the door she walked over to her bed and looked at the dress. "Maybe."
:*:*:*:
Kore came downstairs after a long bath and found Mando sitting on the couch, the child next to him playing with an old baby rattle. She laughed at the sight and walked over to them.
"You have a very nice home."
She softly smiled. "It was."
"What happened here?"
Kore breathed in deeply and looked at the walls that had lines of scorch marks.
"I tried running. Once before. With my family. I thought they wouldn't find me. It was an ignorant thought. They... they didn't hold back. They didn't show any mercy."
"They killed your family."
"They took them for insurance. That I'd obey. They killed them soon after I agreed but I didn't know. I was too busy killing on my own. When I first started I.... I would count how many lives I took. I wanted to know how much of a monster I was becoming. But after two battlefields I'd stopped. You want to know how many lives I took within those three days? 796." Kore lifted up her night shirt to reveal the number tattooed along her ribs in geometric numbers. It was in between two large scars. "I was a monster. I am a monster. I've killed. I keep killing."
"You're not a monster Kore."
"Yes I am. I take lives, and I like it. I wanted to kill Xi'an back on the ship. I would've."
"Then why didn't you?"
"Because of you."
"Me?"
"I lov-really enjoy, traveling with you and the child. And I thought, I knew if I killed her you'd see me differently. And I couldn't.. I couldn't take that."
(A/n: lotta feels and emotions going on.)
Mando hesitated but moved over to where Kore was and looked at her. He put his hand on her cheek and she leaned into the touch.
"You are no monster. A monster wouldn't be as compassionate as you are with that kid. A monster wouldn't get angry at strangers when they bring up my past."
"Hey they were being pricks! I had a right to be pissed!"
Kore heard him him chuckle and her face turned bright red and she looked away. She coughed awkwardly and watched as he retracted his arm.
"Well I'm going to find us something to eat and let you do, whatever it is you plan on doing on this planet." Kore faintly chuckled as she brushed herself off and picked up the child, taking him outside in search of some food.
She found the old shed that used to grow all the fruits and vegetables in and pushed a few buttons on the keypad. The metal door opened with a sound of air rushing in the room and Kore looked around at the tables of produce. A droid walked out of the corner and started beeping rapidly.
"K-7!" She squealed and rushed over to the droid. It kept beeping in excitement and Kore was just happy to see her families old droid. "Hey old buddy. You've been taking care of the house haven't you?"
It beeped in response and Kore smiled as the child walked over to the two and touched the bot. She let him play with K-7 and started to gather up vegetables of all kinds. She broke off a piece of a carrot and handed it to the child, who started to eat it immediately.
Once her arms were full of food, she and the child left the shed. K-7 wanted to follow them but Kore stopped it.
"I'm sorry bud. My friend isn't a fan of droids..."
The machine beeped in annoyance but stayed where it was.
Kore entered the house and noticed the lack of Mando's presence. It made her feel lonely for some reason, but it was a feeling she was well accustomed to.
"Hm."
She started to clean the vegetables and began preparing the food to be cooked. The child sat on the counter, watching as she cut the food, dropping it in a hot skillet. She'd hand him small pieces of cucumbers and squash and he would eat all of it. She began singing the old song she knew as she cooked also.
Mando had come downstairs earlier but stopped when he saw Kore cooking in the kitchen, watching the kid and singing. He walked in and Kore gave him a warm smile.
"Hey."
"Hey. You sing?"
"Hm? Oh no not really. Just a lullaby my mother used to sing to me. Hope you're hungry though, food should be ready soon."
He nodded and moved so Kore could get the chopped onions off the counter top. She continued to cook, now with Mando leaning against the counter watching her and the child was playing with the piece of zucchini Kore handed him.
Everything seemed nice in this moment. She finished cooking everything and moved the food to some plates and handed one to Mando and took hers and the child's plate to the table.
"Do you want to eat in the living room Dyn? We won't go in there."
Mando thought about how Kore always gave him as much privacy as he needed, never pushing him to show his face and never questioning what he did. The most she wanted was his name and if being completely honest, he would've told her even if she hadn't asked.
"Dyn? Helllooo. Dyn." Kore waves her hand in front of Mando's helmet, lightly tapping the side.
"What?"
She chuckled, giving him a confused smile.
"What's on your mind? You weren't responding."
"Nothing. I'm fine."
"You sure? I mean I can't see your face but I can tell somethings bothering you."
"Yeah, everything's good."
"Okay. Well do you want to eat in the living room?"
"No. I'll go upstairs."
"Okay. See you in a bit." Kore started feeding the child, him immediately eating all of it.
Mando walked out of the room, plate in hand. He could still hear Kore speaking to the child as he walked up the steps and to his room.
:*:*:*:
Mando said he'd put the child to bed so that meant Kore could go to sleep, something that'd been illusive to her for the last few weeks. The last time she got a good rest was before Toro drugged her. Ever since then she's gotten nightmares about various things. Things she's tried to lock away in her mind. When she had nightmares she didn't scream or cry in her sleep. She just woke up.
Tonight was no different. As she slept, what looked peacefully, her mind swirled into terror and chaos. The sun was still up but she thought she'd try and sleep anyways.
*in dream*
She was back on the battlefield. There were many resistance fighters but nothing they could do, could stop her from what was about to happen. When her foot hit the ground, the battlefield was silent to her ear. Green light shined at her side, ready to cut down anyone and everyone.
Kore powerfully threw her lightsaber in front of her, using the force to guide it, and watched as it sliced through seven people before coming back to her and landing in her hand. Her feet were lightening quick and all her moves were precise. She watched as the light in people's eyes went out and felt nothing.
Warm blood spilt on her hands and face when she killed the last man up close and Kore watched as the body fell to the floor. The sun was high but Kore felt cold. Her hand was heavy and Kore went stumbling for a moment. Her chest tightened as she opened her eyes to see the dark hue of the night and woods, her only light, the green extended saber at her side.
Nausea and lightheadedness made her lean against the stump of a tree for support, the feeling of dying taking over. Panic rose in her gut as she threw her weapon to the side and the light god out. Sobs wracked through her body as she got a look around at what she'd done.
Her feet were bare and covered in cuts and her night dress was also torn. Kores fingers tightly gripped the destroyed fabric as she walked back to the house, her lightsaber at her side. The tears on her face dried in the night air. When she finally saw the house she also saw Mando sitting outside on the front steps.
"Dyn?" She asked quietly and confused.
Once he saw her he quickly got up and rushed over to her, embracing her. "What are you doing up?"
"I couldn't stop you this time..." he said, his voice showing the shame he felt.
"This time? What do you-" That's when she realized. She did scream. She did cry. She did all those things but Dyn was always there to calm her down and wake her up.
They stayed like that a moment, Kores arms wrapped around Mando's neck and his arms around her waist. He finally put her down and she went to her room to go clean up and change.
Kore finished quickly, changing into new sleep wear, and slipped back into bed, now terrified to close her eyes. It was silent in the house, until Kore heard footsteps walk over to her bed and then felt the blanket move and the bed sink in a bit next to her. Arms wrapped around her waist once again, but this time they weren't metal armored arms.
Kore moved her hands along Dyn's arms, feeling as he pulled her closer. She felt him kiss the back of her neck and sighed in content. She turned in his arms and contented her lips with his. He was surprised but quickly responded by kissing her back and pulling her on top of him. Kores hands moved to his shoulders, noticing his lack of a shirt. She started trailing kisses down his jaw and neck, stopping a moment to feel him shiver under her touch. She moved back to his lips-
(A/n: WHOA WHOA WHOA! Okay we went from him fully armored to shirtless? And now this? Naw I gotta keep this pg:13 man. So yeeaaahhh. They cuddled the rest of the night.) She felt safe like this. Her eyes started to close on their own and Kore was soon asleep, this time with no nightmares.
:*:*:*:
The next morning Kore quickly could tell she was alone so she stretched and got up. She remembered the night before and her cheeks heated up, a smile making its way to her face.
She shook her head and went to get dressed, passing the golden dress. Her eyes lingered on the material a moment before she grabbed it and got changed. If being completely honest, the dress wasn't the easiest thing to get into and several cuss words were said before she actually succeeded.
It's been a long while since Kore had actually done anything with her hair other then putting it up so it'd be out of the way so when she started to style it, it was extremely awkward.
After multiple attempts she finally just clipped it up and sighed, running a hand over her face.
'What am I doing?' She thought as her hand hovered over the clip in her hair. 'Why do I get to be this happy? What have I done to deserve this? What god did I please to be this happy?'
Silent tears rolled down Kores face but she quickly wiped them away and put some makeup on, hoping to hide the fact she had been crying.
When Kore walked downstairs she noticed the child was using the force, lifting up a decorative metal ball. Kore smiled widely and went to scoop the child up in her arms.
"That's amazing baby!" She spun him around once and then watched as the child made the ball float once again.
Mando came into the room holding a small bowl of strawberries for the child when he almost dropped the dish. The sight of Kore wearing that dress made his face go bright red, thank the gods for the helmet.
Kore noticed him and smiled. Seriously does she know what she's doing?
"So Dyn, I wanted to go out for a walk today and maybe have a picnic. I could show you around a bit. D'Qar is quite beautiful."
"That sounds nice."
"Great. I'll make us something to eat and we can go."
Kore quickly made the food and packed it away in a basket, after a struggle of getting it out of the closet yelling "I'm getting a d**n basket like I'm f'ing red riding hood." Kore had Mando carry the basket, saying she already did most of the work and went to grab a blanket. The three left soon after that, walking through the patches of trees until they got to a large empty valley. There was a few wild flowers but nothing major.
Kore laid out the blanket and sat down, watching as the child played with flowers. Mando followed her movements, sitting down next to her. There was a light breeze that picked up Kores hair causing Mando to look at her.
"You look really nice."
She looked over at him, blush evident on her face.
"Thank you."
"You say thank you too much."
Kore laughed. "Who says that? Shouldn't you be saying people don't say thank you enough?"
"There's also that. But you don't have to thank me every time I say or do something."
"Yes I do."
"No you don't."
"Yes."
"Why?"
"Because one day if you leave, I want you to know how much I appreciate you. I made the mistake and took what I had for granted once. I'm not doing that again."
Mando nodded, now understanding her motive and moved closer to her. He moved his hand to push hair behind her ear and looked into her eyes. Kore touches his helmet and he puts his hand on hers.
"I can't-"
"I'm not asking you to Dyn. I wouldn't." she touches her forehead to his (well the helmet) and sighed. "I want this to be everyday."
"I do too..." Mando wanted to add more but this moment was too nice to bring up cruel reality that would soon come for them.