Raiders

No ones POV

It was quiet within the ships walls. Kore sat in the chair behind Mando's, trying to figure how she'd explain what happened on the last planet. He didn't push after the one question, letting Kore let her mind settle. Earlier she had to go down to the bridge to compose herself.
Kore felt sick. Not because of the flight. Not because Mando now knew a little into her past. Not even because of the lives she'd taken. Kore felt sick because she liked it. She liked the feeling of the roar of a fight.
She took in a deep breath and walked back to the cockpit. She watched as the child looked at Mando, who had just said "stop touching things.", and flipped the switch. Mando turned it back off then placed the child in his lap.
Kore chuckled at the sight and walked over to them.
It was quiet for a moment before she spoke. "I wasn't on a side you know."
"What?"
"The Jedi. The sith. I wasn't on either of their sides. I just wanted my family safe. But safety came with a price and I paid it without a second thought."
Mando approached this topic carefully. "What did you do."
"I killed. No surprise really. I was a rare breed, that could be used at the forefront of any battle. So I was trained. Given a deadly weapon. And told to go wipe out entire races. Some jobs I was told to protect people and doing that I was the biggest fraud in the galaxy. I didn't care who died or if it was by my hand. I didn't care if the people had families or not. I didn't... I didn't care if I took a child's life. To one group I was a mercenary. To the other I was a hero. When in reality I was just a monster who tried saving her family but instead placed death sentences on each of their heads."
"You said you were a rare breed. What does that mean?"
Kore moves her hand and picked up the child using the force and placing him in her lap. The child giggled enthusiastically and grabbed at her robes.
Mando watched with wide eyes under his helmet. He looked between her and the child.
"You can do that too..."
"It's known as the force. Not many are attuned with the ability, and all have to train to be able to control it. But this one... he has amazing power. I can feel it."
"What else can you do?"
She smiled and shifted so the child was facing forward. "You'll just have to wait and find out."
Mando turned back to the controls while Kore played with the child's ears.
"Let's see. Sorgan. Looks like there's no star port, no industrial centers, no population density. Real backwater skug hole. Which means it's perfect for us."
Mando turned to Kore who was making a couple things float in front of the child.
"You ready to lay low and stretch your legs for a couple of months you little womp rat?" He asked the child, who just stared at him, before putting the bug Kore gave him in his mouth.
"Nobody's gonna fins us here... right?" Kore asked.
"No."
They made their decent into the planet and Kore stared at all the greenery in amazement. She hadn't seen such lush lands since she was a child.
Once the ship landed Mando started to leave. "I'm gonna go out there and I'm gonna look around. It shouldn't take long."
"Cool. Because I'm not staying on this ship."
"No. You stay here with the kid. I'll find us some lodging then I'll come back for you two."
"Yea. No way. Now let's go shall we?"
Kore grabbed the child and walked off the ship.
They walked to a local pub and went to take a seat. A loth cat growled at the child and Kore immediately picked him up, kicking the cat. She went and took a seat next to Mando.
"Really?"
"What?"
"You had to kick it?"
"Excuse you but you saw what happened correct?"
Mando tolled his eyes at the girl but found himself wearing the smallest of smiles.
A woman came up to the three while Kore was making sure the child was okay.
"Welcome travelers. Can I interest you in anything?"
"Bone broth, for the little one." Mando spoke then looked at Kore.
"Water."
"Oh, well, you're in luck. I just took down a grinjer, so there's plenty. Can I interest either of you in a porringer of broth as well?"
"Just the one, thank you." Kore smiles at the woman.
"Very well."
"That one over there. When did she arrive?"
"I've seen her here for the last week or so."
"What's her business here?"
"Business? Oh, well, there's not much business in Sorgan, so I can't say."
Mando tossed a heap of credits on the table. "She doesn't strike me as a log runner. Well, thank you, sir. I will get that broth to you as soon as possible, and I will throw in a flagon of spotchka just for good measure. I will be right back with that."
As the lady walked away, Mando saw the other lady had left. He got up saying "I'll be right back."
Kore leaned over and whispered "I think dad has a crush. That or he's looking into something. But it's more fun to tease if it's a crush."
The child just looked at her and spoke in baby gibberish.
When the broth and water came the child took his soup and started walking towards the front. Kore didn't see any harm in this so she got up and followed him, just to make sure nothing happened to him.
When they got outside they caught sight of Mando and the lady fighting, ending up pointing their blasters at one another.
The baby chose now to take the loudest slurp of his soup and Kore just looked down at him.
"Good?" She asked.
"You want some soup?" Mando asked the lady.
Kore picked up the child and started walking back inside. "Eh they're more friends."
They all entered the building once again and took a seat at the table.
"Saw most of my action mopping up after Endor. Mostly ex-imperial warlords. They wanted it fast and quiet. They'd send us in on the drop ships. No support, just us. Then when the imps were gone, the politics started. We were peacemakers, protecting delegates, suppressing riots. Not what I signed up for."
"How'd you end up here?"
"Let's just call it an early retirement. Look I knew you were guild. I figured you had a fob on me. That's why I came at you so hard."
Kore snickered. "She whipped your a**."
Mando took this moment to glare at her, who just stuck her tongue out at him.
"Yeah, that's what I figured."
"Well this has been a real treat, but unless you wanna go another round, one of us is gonna have to move on, and I was here first."
"Well, looks like this planets taken."
That night as Mando was outside fixing something on the ship Kore was inside the ship putting the child to sleep. When she finally got him to go to sleep she went to go check on Mando.
"Hey, Mando hows it-" Kore took notice of the two men coming towards the ship.
"Excuse me?"
"Excuse me sir?"
"There something I can help you with?"
"Uh yeah. Raiders. We have money."
"You think I'm some kinda mercenary?"
Kore flinched at the word.
"You are a Mandalorian, right?"
"Or at least wearing Mandalorian armor. That is Mandalorian armor, right?"
"It is."
"See? I told him. Sir, I've read a lot about your people... tribe. If half of what I read is true.."
"We have money."
"How much?"
"Everything we have, sir. Our whole harvest was stolen."
"Krill. We're krill farmers."
"We brew spotchka. Our whole village chipped in."
"It's not enough."
"Are you sure? You don't even know what the job is."
"I know it's not enough. Good luck."
"This is everything we have. We'll give you more after the next harvest."
Mando ignored them starting to walk towards Kore and she placed her hand on his chest to stop him. "Mando.." she whispered.
He just looked at her. Her eyes were pleading. Why couldn't he say no to her?
"Please. Let's just help them."
"Took is a whole day to get here. Now we have to ride back with no protection to the middle of no where."
Mando turned to the men. "Where do you live?"
"On a farm. Weren't you listening? We're farmers."
"In the middle of nowhere?"
"Yes."
"You have lodging?"
"Yeah. Absolutely."
"Good. Come up and help."
They started to move some things to the cart that the men came on.
"I'm going to need one more thing. Give me those credits."
On the way back to the farm they found Cara and got her to come along. They walked for a bit before they started taking turns sleeping.
Mando was taking first shift and Cara laid down, taking a nap. The child laid next to Kore, who was leaning back a bit.
"Thank you." She said.
Mando looked at her. "I didn't do it for you."
He didn't want to admit he had any feelings towards the girl.
"I know you didn't. But still thank you. Wake me in an hour, I'll take next shift." She shifted so she was laying down and in her sleep she moved so her legs were propped up on Mando's lap, and had and arm around the child.
The cart stopped in the morning once they arrived at the farm the two men spoke about.
Children's giggles were heard all around them, and only got louder once they arrived at the cart. They all herded around the child and Kore smiled warmly, not wanting to leave him alone but decided to take a step back for a moment.
"Well, looks like they're happy to see us."
"Looks like."
People came and helped empty the cart while Cara, Mando and Kore walked further into the small village.
Kore and Mando arrived at a small hut and a woman was inside pulling up the shades. Mando stopped and looked at her.
She did the same before saying "please come in."
Mando obliged and put the yellow box he was carrying down.
"I hope this is comfortable for you. Sorry that all we have is the barn."
'Does she even see me?' Kore thought.
"This will do fine."
"I stacked some blankets over here."
"Thank you. That's very kind."
A little girl started to walk in the doorway and Mando immediately turned, his hand on his weapon. The girl fled behind the wall in fear. The woman walked over and held her daughter in her arms.
"This is my daughter, Winta. We don't get a lot of visitors around here. She's not used to strangers." She looked down and at her daughter. "This nice man is going to help protect us from the bad ones."
"Thank you." Winta quietly said.
Kore looked at Winta and her whole face paled. She looked just like the little girl who's life she stole years ago. She felt nauseated and like she was about to cry.
"Excuse me." Kore pushed her way past the lady and ran to the tree line. There, she proceeded to hurl the snack she had eaten a couple of hours ago while tears fell down her cheeks.
She let out a choked cough and continued to gag until nothing was left. Kore stayed there a while, until she knew her panic attack was over before returning back to the barn. By then it was sunset. Right before she got there, she saw Omera enter the building. She was carrying a tray of food.
"Knock, knock."
"Come in."
Winta entered right after her mother, looked at the child and asked Mando "can I feed him?"
Mando was waiting until Kore got back, knowing how attached she'd grown to the child, but it'd been almost all day.
"Sure."
Winta fed him some before asking "Can I play with him?"
"Sure."
Winta started to leave with the child and Kore wanted to rush over and take back her child but refrained from doing so.
"I don't think..."
"That'll be fine." Omera told Mando.
"I don't-"
"They'll be fine. I brought you some food. I noticed you didn't eat out there. I'll leave it here for when I go."
"That's very thoughtful of you."
"Do you mind if I ask you something?"
"Go ahead."
"How long has it been since you've taken that off?"
"Yesterday."
"I mean, in front of someone else."
Mando turned and pointed out to the kids. "I wasn't much older than they are."
"You haven't shown your face to anyone since you were a kid?"
"No. I was happy that they took me in. My parent were killed and the Mandalorians took care ok me."
"I'm sorry."
"This is the way."
The two looked at each other for a moment before Kore broke and walked in. The two turned and looked at her, though she looked normal.
"Oh don't mind me. Just grabbing a blanket." Kore grabbed the top one off the pile and the bread off of Mando's plate. "And this. Don't let me stop you though. Pretend I wasn't even here." Kore smiled, but this one was different then her other ones. More strained. More sadness lay behind it. And Mando noticed.
Mando and Cara went to go track the raiders and Kore decided to stay behind with the child. She'd left him alone long enough and was more then happy when she finally had him safe in her arms again.
Kore would sing him a lullaby in old tongue, languages long forgotten to the world.
The two came back and gathered up the village.
"Bad news. You can't live here anymore."
Everyone grew confused including Kore.
"Nice bedside manner."
"You think you can do better?"
"Can do much worse. I know this is not the news you wanted to hear, but there are no other options."
"You took the job." One farmer yelled.
"Yeah. That was before we knew about the AT-ST."
"What is that?"
"The armored walker with two enormous guns that you knew about and didn't tell us."
Everyone started talking and Omera chimed in.
"We have nowhere to go."
"Sure you do. This is a big planet. I mean I've seen a lot smaller."
"My grandparents seeded these ponds."
"It took generations."
"I understand. I do. But there are only two of us."
'Seriously AM I invisible?' Kore thought as she let out a tch.
"No there's not. There's at least 20 here."
"I mean fighters. Be realistic."
"We can learn!"
"I've seen that thing take out entire companies of soldiers in a matter of minutes."
"We're not leaving."
"You cannot fight that thing."
"Unless we show them how."
That night Mando was in the barn preparing for sleep and tomorrow's training when Kore came in to get another blanket.
"Well I gotta say, you sure go for the stubborn ones." She said as she grabbed the piece of cloth.
"What?"
"Omera. You like 'em stubborn. Or passionate. Whatever you like to call it. wheres the child?"
"With Winta."
Kore clenched her fists but her facial expression made no change. "Okay."
"Where are you going?"
"I'm sleeping outside. Walls make me feel trapped."
She began to leave when Mando grabbed her arm. "What's wrong with you?"
"What do you mean?"
"You're upset by something. I just don't know what."
"I'm fine."
"Then why did you leave earlier? Why do you keep leaving?"
"I left, because that little girl is a spitting freakin image of the little girl I killed right before I went into hiding. I left because I didn't want anyone to see as I had the worst panic attack I've had in years. I leave because I don't want to sit around watching you flirt or whatever the heck it is you do. I hate watching it, it makes me want to hit that sweet lady in her pretty face. Is that enough information or would you like more?"
Mando looked at her a moment before slowly drawing her in, hugging her tightly. Kore hugged back and as she drew back she reached up for his helmet. He immediately placed his hands on hers to stop her, but she shook her head and lifted it up smallest bit, only seeing his mouth, chin and part of his cheek. She placed a soft kiss on his cheek, slowly moving so her lips were right next to his. Mando moved so he was looking down at her, she cloud feel his breath on her face and she wanted to move a little closer, but it was him who initiated it. Their lips connected and Mando hugged Kore closer, Kore moves her hands to cup his face, his helmet rested on the bridged of her nose. When the moment ended Kore pulled his helmet back down and left the barn.
She slept under the stars, fingers grazing over her lips. Memories of the impulsive kiss filled her mind and she sighed. The breeze over the trees sounded like song and put her jumbled mind at ease.
:*:*:*:
The next morning the village gathered around Kore, Mando and Cara.
"You got two problems here. You got the bandits, and you got the mech. We'll handle the AT-ST, but you gotta protect us when they come out of the woods. And I don't have to tell you how dangerous they are. Cara Dune here was a veteran. She was a drop soldier for the rebellion and that's Kore Halo. She was apart of the Jedi."
Everyone's eyes widened at this. Kore gave the okay to tell them this because she could help train the farmers.
"Cara is gonna lay out a plan for you, so listen carefully." Kore spoke.
"Now, there's nothing on this planet that can damage the legs on this thing, so we're gonna build a trap. We're gonna need to dig real deep, right here, so that when it steps in, it drops. The two of us will hit their camp. Provoke them. That'll bring the fight out of the woods and down here to us."
"I'm gonna need you to cut down trees and build barricades along these edges. I need it high enough so that they can't get over, and strong enough so that it can't break through. Okay. Who knows how to shoot?"
The only one to raise their hand was Omera.
Kore turned to Mando. "I'll take half and train them how to use a staff."
He nodded and they got to work.
Kore demonstrated a few simple, but important, moves for them so get down.
When training was mostly over Kore went to find the kids so she could keep them safe using a field of the force but passed the barn on her way and saw Mando and Omera.
Jealousy bubbled in her stomach but she ignored it, knowing she had no right to be jealous. But even knowing, she couldn't bring herself to walk away.
"The sun is about to set, and we'll be leaving soon. When we return, we're coming in hot."
"We'll be ready."
Cara came over and nodded to the two and Mando went over to her. Cara and Mando passed Kore, and as he was about to say something Kore went "Hurry and return. I'm itching to knock somethings teeth in."
Cara laughed but Mando understood what she meant.
By the time Mando and Cara returned, it was night and the people had that as cover. They each pointed a blaster towards the woods and stood by the barricades.
"This is it. Once that thing steps into the pond, it's goin down."
Kore watched as the AT-ST emerged from the tree line, walking forward, a few steps short from the pond.
A light turned on and pointed towards the people.
"Get down!" Mando shouted to the people.
The few who didn't listen ended up getting shot at and soon a hoard of raiders came running in.
"Open fire!" Cara shouted and the battle started.
Blasters were going off left and right and Kore used the force to pick up a few of them and throw them into the trees before switching back to her blaster.
Cara went into the water and started shooting at the AT-ST, trying to get it to come forward. Kore noticed the lack in the machines movements, all but it's gun, and tried to help. She focused the machine legs and felt the pull of the force, trying to get it to fall. Sweat started to cover her head and her nose started bleeding. Her screams were drowned out by the sound of shooting but at last the thing stepped forward, both thanks to caras shooting  and Kore pull of the force, and fell into the trap.
Mando ran over to it and dropped a grenade in it. The AT-ST exploded and the raiders that still lived retreated.
The morning light came up and Kore ran over to where the children were staying to check on them and her child. Once the child saw her, he started walking towards her and she scooped him up in her arms.
Omera and Mando entered next and Winta ran to her mother. Mando looked at Kore and saw her drained state.
"Are you okay?" He asked, genuinely concerned.
"Just fine."
He used his thumb and wiped the blood off Kores lips and chin. She stared up at him, eyes widening a bit.
"What did you do?"
"I'm a little rusty is all. Nothing big."
"Why don't I believe you?"
"Because you have trust issues." She nodded her like she knew she was right.
A few months pass and everything was quiet. Kore was sitting on the deck of the house, along with Cara and Mando when Omera came out and handed a cup to Cara and turned to Mando.
"Can I set you something in the house?"
"Uh, thank you. Maybe later."
Omera turned to look at the child. "He's very happy here."
"He is."
"Fits right in." She said before leaving.
The three were quiet before Kore spoke.
"I don't think she likes me. But she really likes you Mando."
"She doesn't like me."
Cara and Kore shared a look.
"She totally likes you." Cara stated.
"Will you two stop?"
"Hey were just stating the facts."
"So what happens if you take that thing off? They come after you and kill you?"
"No. You just can't ever put it back on again."
"That's it? So you can slip off the helmet, and settle down with that beautiful young widow, and raise your kid here, sipping spotchka?"
Kore raised her hand. "I hope you're talking about Winta because if Mando chooses that route I'm taking the child with me."
Mando looked at the back of Kores head and watched as she stared ahead of her, watching the children play.
"You know we raised some hell here a few months back. It's too much action for a backwater town like this. Word travels fast. We might wanna cycle the charts and move on."
"Would not wanna be the one who's gotta tell him."
Kore heard this and hopped off the deck, walking over to the group. She smiled and bent over and the child fell into her lap.
"I'm leaving them here. Traveling with me, THATS no life for a kid. Kore wanted to get away from all the fighting. Plus she'd never leave him behind and with her he'd be safe. They'd both have a better chance at a life." He told Cara.
Cara just stared ahead of her. "It's gonna break their hearts."
"They'll get over it. We all do."
Mando walked over to Kore and tapped her on the shoulder.
"Kore, we have to talk."
"You sound like my mother about to ground me."
"Just come on."
They walked over to a more isolated area and Mando started.
"I know how much you like it here."
"It's not home but... it is quiet. For now."
"You and the kid. You both seem happier lately."
"Maybe there's more to be happier about." She stared at him thinking this was going in a different direction then it was.
"You and the kid should stay here."
Kore paused. She waited for him to say just kidding, to pull some sense of humor that he never had before out but no. He was serious.
"You're an idiot."
"What?"
"You're the biggest dumba** on this planet. Maybe the galaxy."
"I just want you two to be safe okay?"
"And you think leaving us here? On a planet is safe? You think leaving the child with me is safe?"
"You wouldn't ever hurt him."
"How do you know?! You don't know half of what I've done! I love that child so much but the only reason I even allow myself to hold him. To be near him. Is because I know you're there. I know if I somehow snap, you wouldn't hesitate to kill me to protect him."
Mando stopped. She thought he wouldn't think twice about killing her? He was only leaving because he thought it best for her
"I couldn't kill you." He said.
"Yes. You could. I'm nothing worth saving so you admitting it wouldn't hurt me Mando. But you saying that you're leaving us here? That hurts worse then anything that prick did to me." She walked off, letting herself be angry and sad.
Mando watched feeling guilty right before the sound of a blaster went off. Everyone looked towards the trees to see Cara standing before a dead body.
Mando ran over to her and pushed the dead body over with his foot, picking up the tracking fob on the floor.
"Who's he tracking?"
"Kore."
"They know she's here."
"Yes."
"Then they'll keep coming."
"Yes."
Mando crushed the fob under his boot and the three started out of the town. They said goodbye to cara and Mando said goodbye to Omera. Kore didn't feel the need to and just got in the back of the cart. They got back to the ship and left the planet.