Chapter Twenty-two

I wanted to press the button to ring the bell but something was stopping me. Maybe it was the fact that Mother was home as Dallas said. I really didn't want to see her or leave Rowan's house even if I totally embarrassed myself by breaking down.

I wondered why I did that. Perhaps it was because I heard words that my mother had never said to me. The words that meant I could put my trust in her and never be let down.

Yeah. That's why I lost it. I was supposed to put my trust in my mother but now I can trust Samantha even more than I could her.

Rowan ended up bringing me to my house earlier than I wanted, telling his parents that I just missed home and had to leave. They understood, saying that I was welcome there anytime.

That's what led up to my inability to press a stupid button. I wanted to go back there and be with them, part of their family but in all honesty, I would miss some parts of my house. My Daddy, my brother, Kelly and Frank. They made this place home for me.

Summoning all my courage, I pressed the bell, waiting a few seconds before it swung open. Daddy grabbed me in a bone crushing hug as if I was going to disappear. I quickly returned it, wanting to feel the warmth and protection he often gave me.

"I'm so glad you're safe, Darling." He said with a relieved smile.

I chortled softly. "We spoke less than four hours ago, I told you I was fine."

"I was still worried." He turned to Rowan. "Thank you for taking care of her last night. She must've been a mess after what her mother said."

Rowan dismissed it with a smile. "No problem, Uncle Brandon. She needed my help and I was more than happy to give it."

Daddy placed an arm on his shoulder. "You're a good boy, Rowan and I know you'll treat my daughter well."

"I will." He glanced at me with a wink. "I have to go now. I'll see you later."

"Okay." I leaned in to kiss his cheek. "You'll pick me up in two hours."

"Sure. Bye, Riele."

"Bye, Rowan." I waved at him as he got into his car and left.

"It seems I have some gloating to do." Daddy remarked, smirking in the direction Rowan went in.

"Gloating? Why?"

"I told Roland that you would one day end up with Rowan and he doubted me." He explained.

"How did you know?"

"I just did." He shrugged. "Where are you going in two hours? With Rowan, I mean."

"He's taking me out on a date and before you ask where, I have no idea. He says it's a surprise."

"Okay, I approve that. Just be home before curfew."

We stepped into the house, past Dallas who was talking to Cassidy and past my parent's room, where I knew Mother was, before we got to mine.

My room was just the way I left it. Nothing was packed into boxes or suitcases which relieved me. I though for sure Mother was going to try to pack my things up and donate or burn them.

After a quiet and awkward lunch, I started preparing for my date. Since I had no idea where we were headed, I put on a comfortable sky blue cold-shoulder t-shirt dress and black sneakers. Instead of regular underwear, I wore a white one piece swimsuit in case we were going to the beach.

A few minutes after three, Rowan arrived in khaki shorts and a black t-shirt that accentuated his muscles. He grinned, winking at me as I came down the stairs.