Chapter One

"Ms Bentley, your father wants to see you in his study." One of our maids told me.

I straightened my dress, dropping my book and went to meet my dad in his study. I wondered why he wanted to see me, knowing that he was really busy with work.

I knocked on the large French doors that led to my father's study and walked in. He sat at his desk and I took the seat opposite him. His head snapped up to me and he smiled at me warmly.

"Riele, sweetie, I have great news." He beamed at me.

"You talked to mom and she decided to let me drop pageantry?" I guessed, sitting straighter in excitement.

"No, not quite." My shoulders slumped in disappointment. "I did talk to your mother but not about pageantry, about you going to high school."

I couldn't speak. I was shocked, never in my life had I imagined myself going to a high school. Although my brother, Dallas, was allowed to go, I always saw myself taking lessons in the library from the best tutors that money could buy but now, thanks to my dad that wouldn't be the case.

A wide grin spread across my face as I jumped on my father, hugging the life out of him. It was difficult hugging him because a large desk separated us. He rose from his seat taking me up with him, returning the hug.

"Thank you so much!" I squealed and kissed his cheek.

"No problem sweetheart. I'll do anything for you." He squeezed myself to him before letting go.

I pulled away, using his desk to balance myself before sitting down again.

"So what school am I attending?" I asked, bouncing in my seat in excitement. "Is it a boarding school? I told you I wanted to go to a boarding school so much."

He sighed. "No, you are not attending a boarding school. As much as you want to, I cannot bear the fact that you're away from me."

I pouted, willing to break his resolve. "Please daddy." I begged, widening my eyes for an innocent look that I knew my dad could not resist.

"Now, princess, don't look at me like that. I'll buy you whatever pleases you but you cannot go to a boarding school. There will be no one taking care of you."

"But I don't need taking care off." I insisted. "I can be independent."

"Sorry, darling but the answer is no." He concluded. "You'll have fun at your school, I promise."

"Fine." I grumbled.

"You're going to Elton High School. It's a very nice school that I'm sure you'll love." He tried convincing me. "I chose the school based on what you wanted. It's a good school with amazing facilities and great people. You'll make lots of friends like you wanted."

I nodded solemnly. I was still a bit unhappy that I would come back home every day to meet the eyes of my judgemental mother who never seemed to love me and never listened to me.

My dad is the CEO of his company and my mother is a model. She never seemed to love me and was always pushing me into silly competitions that I didn't even enjoy. My daddy however loves me so much that if it meant jumping into a pit of fire to make me happy he would do it in a heartbeat.

"Riele, don't look like that." He pleaded, noticing the small pout still on my lips. "I don't want you to go to a boarding school, it's dangerous for you. You have to understand this, okay Love?"

He was right, I've never been outside the nest on my own before. I was either with him or Kelly, my personal caretaker and best friend. She's twenty-seven, ten years older than I am. She's been with me since I was eleven and before her, my caretakers were mean old hags who couldn't care less about me.

"Sure, daddy." I conceded, smiling at the fact that I was still going to a normal school.

"You start on Monday." He informed me with a smile.

"Okay, thanks daddy." I crossed the oak desk to kiss his cheek before leaving his study, a grin plastered on my face.

I rushed to my room to tell Kelly the good news but was shocked to see my mother sitting on my king-sized bed in her expensive clothes and regal updo.

"Where do you think you're running to, young lady?" She scowled at me.

"Sorry, mother." I said, hanging my head low.

"Your father must've told you about your new 'school'." She sneered, putting air quotes on the word 'school'.

"Yes. He has." I replied, nodding.

"I'm skeptical about your going to a school filled with hooligans and those of the lower class. Now, you are not to involve yourself with any of them or do anything to tarnish our family name or else." She warned.

"Yes, Mother." I nodded.

I have never disobeyed my mother in fear of what she would do to me.

"Where's Dallas?" She questioned, referring to my party animal of an older brother.

"Out." I replied, unsure of where he really was.

"That boy!" She said, shaking her head in disappointment. "I have no idea why your father wants him to take over the company."

I didn't say anything to her. She's always disliked Dallas' behavior and doesn't want him to take over my Dad's company. Dallas is the only one, other than my father, who stood up to her and she hated that. Even though he was the first child, she didn't want him to take over dad's company after he retires.

"Anyway, Riele, do you have your dresses ready for tonight?" I nodded in response. "Good. I expect victory tonight, don't fail me."

She sauntered out of my room, leaving me alone with my thoughts. Finally going to HIGH SCHOOL!!!

Author's Note:

Hey, thank you for choosing to read Mr Number Ten. It means a lot to me. I'll be sure to update regularly.

VOTE.COMMENT.SHARE