"Then perhaps we shall have it cut out, then?"

The guard now pulled out a dagger at his king's words.

"NO!" Malawashina shouted, holding up her hands for mercy. "Please, your majesty, I beg you! I should be punished for not doing enough to reign in my servants. But, please, I beg you, do not hurt her!"

Mursili scoffed at her then, as his glare trailed back down to the young girl struggling in the guard's grip. "I advise you to keep them in check, Malawashina." Then, with the slight nod of his head, the guard let the whimpering Utati go. Utati immediately shrunk back behind her mistress like a cowering pup.

"You are lucky that I acknowledge your affection for the brat, as misplaced as it is. I would have executed others for far fewer slights." The pleated cream cotton of his tunic crumpled against the deep maroon of his gold woven sash as he crossed his muscular arms across his broad chest.

"I do not doubt it, your majesty." Malawashina spread out her arms in obeisance as she bowed herself low. "And I thank you greatly for your mercy. His Majesty, Mursili, is forever kind and generous." Her gut wrenched at speaking such words, but she had to keep up the facade to satiate him.

He nodded then, accepting her praises, and lowered his arms to his sides. His expression softened slightly, but not without an air of arrogance still riddled across it.

"His majesty has called for me. Shall we not go and speak together? The night is already late, and his divine majesty will need his rest." Malawashina began gently, yet not without caution.

Mursili grunted in acknowledgment, cocking his head towards the unlit hallway.

"There is something I must talk to you about, Malawashina," he began, his voice much more gentle than previous. He then looked back at her servant. "In private."

Malawashina shifted slightly. "You know my father has forbidden me to speak with any man without my maid, my mother or himself present. Not even to a king," she began hesitantly.

"Yes, I know, I know." Mursili waved his hand dismissively. "But I am the King of this palace, and your father will know better than to disobey me. Anyway, it is of great importance and one of national security."

"Then surely you should speak to my father about such matters," she tried to protest.

"No, this requires your assistance and yours alone. Are you to tell me that I, your King, your family, cannot rely on you?"

Malawashina's eyes widened. How could she possibly answer such a pointed question? She lowered her head, defeated. She knew there was nothing she could do to escape whatever it was he wanted.

"You know I would do anything for my country, but is secrecy necessary?" She made one last attempt. "My servant would never speak a word."

Mursili arched one of his thick eyebrows at her, almost mockingly. "And you know how big her mouth is," came his reply. "They are all to stay here, even my guards. That, I promise you. I have a task for you and you alone, which requires only your attention. I will not take no as an answer."

Malawashina's stomach tightened painfully at his words, and she could feel the blood rushing from her face.

"As you wish, your majesty."